Chapter 5 | The one where they are left alone

While Preston's face had turned fifty shades of red, Alastair's was quite the opposite - he was the picture of calm and composed.

Sam was staring at the scene unfolding from the sidelines. His boss was kind but would not take kindly to any help from his end.

"What is the matter?"

"What is the matter, you ask? You are late, Mr. Cabot. I came back here even though your request was absurd and you made me wait."

"There is no need to get riled up or make a fuss. I apologize. I lost track of time at work. You had my number, didn't you?"

Words failed Preston. He opened his mouth, blinked, and closed it shut, pressing his lips in a thin line. He was not prepared for this. For an apology. He felt like a lost child.

"You are such a kid."

...but it did not need to be pointed out.

"And you are an old man." Not the smartest retort, Preston realized. Closing his eyes at his dying wit, he stomped to the same black door he was standing before an hour and a half ago.

Ears perked at the sound of tapping feet on the wooden porch, Alastair moved to the door. "Sam, you have the keys. Please open the door so my cook can do his duty."

The tapping sound came to a sudden halt before continuing and picking up pace. The house owner did his best to keep the small curve of his lips hidden. Truth be told, he was enjoying gaslighting the kid. He was a welcome distraction in his usually dull life.

"Sir, is everything fine? You have been standing here for the past five minutes."

With quick steps, he entered the house and all but ran to his room. After securing the lock did he let go - cursing himself for losing focus on his surroundings. Sharp senses were what kept him on his feet, both in business and the real world. Once there was a time when he judged people based on their appearances but now he knows better. Life kicked him hard, teaching him a lesson the outcome of which he may or may not be carrying into the future with him.

A shower. It was exactly what he needed.

"Is your boss always like this?"

Preston's question made Sam move his eyes from the stairs and to the boy who was staring at him with annoyance.

"Like what?"

"Maddening. A spoiled man."

Sam was regretting the time he took to contemplate whether he should follow his boss or not. He should have. He would prefer stoic and known to pissed and unknown. However, it was too late. The ship had sailed.

With a sigh, he supplied the boy with a safe answer - "He has his reasons."

The clipped tone, an indication for Preston to glue his mouth shut and embrace the demanded silence. A vague answer, however, was not enough for the boy. The old man was simply making an excuse for his boss, he was sure. Killing the messenger would be satisfying but also fruitless. It was not how he operated. He faced the enemy head-on. For the time, he chose to retreat, huffing and grabbing a seat at one of the kitchen stools.

A footfall can be heard from the direction of the stairs. Preston sprung to his feet wanting to get it over with.

Alastair came into view, addressing his new cook right off the bat. "First thing first - do not burn my kitchen. All the appliances needed for a decent meal are available here," he gestured towards the kitchen with his arms wide open. "You will not be required to put together anything complicated. The spices are in the right side cupboard above the kitchen counter and the crockery is on the left. All the dishes are in the cupboards below."

As Alastair was listing off everything, Preston was quick in his approach as he kept opening the shelf doors and closing them after having a once-over. One thing he was certain he loved was cooking. He would even go as far as to say that he was passionate about culinary art. The kitchen being modular made his heart dance in joy. It was easy to access.

"Got it. You need my help for dinner, right?"

"And more. You have to cook extra when preparing dinner, the leftovers will be my brunch or breakfast for the next day."

"I don't mind that."

"Fantastic. Now please get to work. I have my dinner at 7 daily."

Despite strong efforts on Preston's part, Sam refused to stay for dinner. The old man eventually departed, leaving him and Alastair alone in the house.

What do you think of Alastair's character so far?What about Preston? Do you like him?What are your favorite traits about these two?

What about Preston? Do you like him?
What are your favorite traits about these two?

~ April Skyes