twenty-six

season one episode four ; thirty-eight minutes . . .

part one . . .

two weeks later . . .

wraith planet . . .

A puddle jumper flew away from a large, ringed planet and toward a space gate. The right drive pod seemed to be leaving a trail of gas behind. Markham is piloting, and Stackhouse is acting as co-pilot. Ford rushed to stand between them and looked out the view-screen.

"How we doing?" Aiden asked.

"Okay, Lieutenant, I think I've got her lined up pretty close."

"No such thing as close. You thread the needle, or we're dead."

"All right."

"Take it easy, Lieutenant," Stackhouse said warningly.

"It's okay, you can do it. Nice and easy." Calling to the cabin. "Okay, I think we're close enough to dial the gate!".

"Yes, yes!" Rodney snapped. "Hurry up and get us back!" Stackhouse dialled the gate. The puddle jumper flies toward the now active gate. John was lying against the inclined ramp in the rear compartment. A cat-sized, insect-like creature is attached to the right side of his neck. Adrian and Rodney are with him, each with a hand on his shoulders.

"Get this damn thing off me," John growled.

"We can't." Adrian snapped at his soulmate, pressing a hand firmly against John's shoulder.

"Cut it off." John snarled.

"As soon as we establish a connection, radio back that we've got a medical emergency." Rodney barked.

"There must be something we can do for him," Adrian said desperately.

"There's an emergency first aid kit behind the pilot's seat. Get it." Adrian goes to the cockpit, glancing anxiously between the three Marines as he yanks the first aid kit from behind the seat. "Major, everything we try to do to remove it just makes the pain worse. Now try and be still." John nodded reluctantly as Adrian stepped up beside Aiden, a hand on the back of Robert's seat.

"Is there no way to go faster?" Adrian asked, his desperation evident in his voice.

"He's just trying to get us back in one piece," Robert said, defending his soulmate and Adrian grimaced, patting Jamie on the shoulder before returning to the back of the jumper, crouching back down beside his soulmate.

"Atlantis Base, this is Ford. Jumper One is inbound with a medical emergency. Please respond."

control room . . .

"What's going on?" Elizabeth asked.

"The reconnaissance team is reporting a medical emergency. I've alerted Dr. Beckett. He's on his way."

"Put on Major Sheppard."

"He's the one who's injured."