iii. connections

IF ANYTHING, SUKI COULD RECOGNIZE the high pitched voice from miles away. With a sigh of annoyance, her dark hair began swaying as she turned her head searching for the familiar face. Just as she found the source of the voice, Suki noticed the wide mischievous grin that was on her face.

Shaking her head with disbelief, a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. When living in the Leaf Village you easily learn that Hayami Senju is known for causing trouble. Typically, Suki is the one to get her out of the mess, always having to make up lies to save her little cousin.

"What trouble have you gotten yourself into now, Hayami?" Suki's voice was filled with concern but also had a hint of amusement.

The light haired girl's grin started to get even wider, if that was somehow possible, "Just a little something!" Her voice was filled with excitement, "Anywhooo! Momma's calling! Let's get going now before she gets mad at us... Specifically you."

As Hayami grabbed onto Suki's wrist and took her running through the bustling crowd, Suki's brows furrowed with annoyance. "Hayami? What do you mean? What trouble did you exactly start?" She could hear the low laugh that Hayami left out. If anything, her interest peaked, mostly filled with worry.

• • •

The streets started to become less crowded as they entered the smaller districts of the village. Hayami and Suki were walking side by side, chatting casually as they got closer to her mother's flower shop. "Why exactly did my mom need us both?" Suki questioned, Hayami only hummed in response.

"Hmmm." Hayami said, her cheeks becoming rosy as she thought of a quick answer, "Nothing much really, I mean, she just needed some help with running the shop."

Suki noticed Hayami's eyes shifting back and forth; her mannerisms were much different than her usual self. Suki could see right through her. Although Suki acted along with it, "Interesting, I wouldn't expect a rush in the middle of the evening." Quickly glancing at Hayami, she noticed her head had lowered.

She was lying. 'But what exactly was she lying about?'' Suki questioned to herself, stealing quick glances as they continued walking.

"Guess since the spring season is coming up, people want to start early with gifts and planting," Hayami said with a light chuckle. Proceeding with a nod, Suki just smiled at the younger girl.

When finally reaching the building, the door emitted a soft, melodic ding as the girls swung it open. But quickly that welcoming environment soon vanished as Suki could feel the change in power. As she looked towards her side, she could see her commander browsing through her mother's flowers.

With a shaken, but happy expression, her mother greeted the two, "Ah! I'm so glad you two could finally make it. We have some special guests here." Suki noticed the nervous chuckle her mother presented, and to act along with the atmosphere Suki and Hayami both gave back a delighted smile.

"Yes, Good Evening, Mom. Sir Danzō." Suki said with respect as she gave him a firm handshake. "I am pleased to see you here. Are you interested in getting any flowers? My mom and I would be happy to assist you." She began to walk alongside Danzō, making sure to push Hayami near her mothers counter. She had no intention in having the two involved with someone like him.

In her mind, Suki has learned how demanding Danzō was, and that was one thing she wished she knew earlier. For obvious reasons, Suki knew that he was a respected and a strong ninja, but overtime the Root System became so tiring for her. In short, Suki wished for breaks, hoping she could spend time with her family.

Again, Suki knew that someone like him, an appointed official in Konoha, was loved by the people. His high authority that he held made people appreciate him, as he knew what the village wanted best.