Chapter Twenty Eight: Memories in Health

28. Memories in Health

7-8-2023

A/N: HAHA, I'm so evil, aren't I? Previously leaving you on a CLIFFHANGER! HAHAHAHA--I won't promise that I won't do it again.
(ФωФ)

Q: If you were to pick any song to have as a music box, what would you choose? I'd personally choose Waltz of Chihiro from Spirited Away.

-----

It has been a few days since you have gotten sick. You were getting better, but the progression toward health was slower than it should've been. But it wasn't entirely your fault. An injury is one thing, but a viral infection is something entirely different in this world. With no safe medicine, there was no way to give you normal doses to reduce your temperature all the time. All you could do was rely on eating well, getting cleaned every day, and your immune system itself.

Senku stayed by your side sometimes but was always switching shifts with the others so he could continue through the phone roadmap. His mind was riddled with so many tasks he needed to do, it was actually stressing him out. There were slight eye bags under his eyes when he would constantly switch from thinking about your well-being to the invention that needed to be completed. He had figured out how to create lightbulbs, but with every material he had at hand, they all burnt out. He needed copper, which is something Chrome ran out of.

Chrome then went out on an expedition with his new mining helmet to get materials from nearby caves in hopes of finding something that could withstand the heat of the energy.

"A penny for your thoughts, Senku-chan~?"

Senku turned around to see Gen with his arms in his sleeves, along with a small smile on his face. The boy groaned and turned back to work with his newfound project that lay still on the table.

"What are you supposed to do when the fate of the whole world is on your shoulders?" He questioned out loud.

"That depends on the situation," said Gen. He then chuckled, "I would recommend just keeping the weight of this moment."

Senku replied as he fiddled with the small machinery in his hands, "It was a rhetorical question, mentalist."

"Now I will ask you a question. What exactly are you making?" The mentalist asked as he picked up one of the pieces that the scientist was working on. The parts were so small, it didn't seem practical for the phone to have it. It was obvious that he had Kaseki mold the metal pieces due to how complex it looked.

"Something to pass the time until we could do another light test," the scientist answered him bluntly.

Gen realized he wasn't going to get any good answer out of him due to being mentally exhausted. If he were being honest, he was worried about his dear friend, as well as you. By the sound of his voice, he could tell that Senku was disheartened by your condition and the situation with the light bulbs.

"Plant your feet."

Senku lifted his head and look at the man. "What?"

The mentalist repeated himself, "Plant your feet, Senku-chan. If the whole world is on your shoulders at this moment, plant your feet into the ground to withstand it. This is no time to lose hope. We will solve the issues regarding the light bulb, and (Y/N)-chan will be by your side like she's always been."

The scientist was quiet. He began thinking about how much he missed your comforting presence at that moment. Though he didn't admit it, Gen could tell that you really had a profound effect on Senku's life.