Chapter Nine: Ramen and Cola

9. Ramen and Cola

10-06-2022

-----

"You're not thinking of making food, are you?"

It was the next morning. You and Senku were raiding Chrome's warehouse, looking for something to use to cook.

"Food has nothing to do with science," Chrome said, sounding bored.

You turned to him. "It has everything to do with it. Food is equal to science."

"Yeah, just what do you think makes up the 'umami' in the fish you eat every day? That's glutamic and inosinic acid," Senku added.

You then heard the sound of barking and laughter, noticing Suika playing with a puppy below the warehouse. She seemed to be holding something long and green in her hands.

"Suika, what's that in your hand?" You questioned her.

She answered cheerfully, "Oh, this is her friend Chalk's favorite toy! It's green dogtail millet!"

"Oh, you mean foxtail millet, right?"

Immediately, Senku jumped up from his spot and climbed down the ladder from the warehouse in a mad dash. He pointed at the plant that the girl was holding.

"With foxtail millet, we might actually be able to to make it! The world's greatest delicacy!" The scientist cried with determination. He went back into the warehouse and came out with three baskets that you could carry on your back. He handed one to Chrome and one for you. "Suika, lead the way to the foxtail millet."

"Aye sir!"

She started heading over to the area where she found the foxtail millet, with you, Senku, Chrome, and Kohaku trailing behind her. Chalk was also following, since Suika was still holding her one foxtail.

Through the trees, you passed by them to see an open field. In the middle of that field were tall stalks of foxtail millet that were growing in a large group.

"Make sure you cut the top halves of the stalks, lioness. We'll pick up whatever you drop," said Senku.

"On it! And don't call me that!" she cried.

In full force, Kohaku took her duel blades and the cut foxtail millet down. Everything that had fallen, you, Senku, and Chrome would pick it up and place it in the baskets that the three of you carried on your backs.

Once they were filled to the brim, you all went back to the warehouse and started working.

Senku explained that all of you needed to beat the foxtail against rocks into a basket, as it would make the grain fall out naturally. Kohaku, Chrome, and Suika seemed skeptical about eating it, but once they were all in a basket, threshing them through water and through a strainer helped them see how clean the grains were. You and Kohaku would then crush the grain into a fine, green powder, which would then be mixed with an egg, ash lye, and potassium carbonate to create dough.

"A nameless Mongolian in the 4th century discovered this by coincidence. Just like you, Chrome, he was an insane fool who was ready to try anything and everything," said Senku.

He was rolling the dough layer by layer, and then he would cut it up in the shape of small noodles through it with a knife. Once the noodles were done, you got a large pot to boil some water with, and placed a large chicken and some beef inside of it to add protein and fat. Suika helped take apart some fish and also added it into the pot for vitamin B3 and cholesterol. With the final touches, Senku added bones, green onions, and bamboo shoots for extra vitamins, carbohydrates, and most importantly, flavoring.