★彡01|01 - "Don't you think it's time, dad?"彡★

Prince Ben, who was soon to be king and was being fitted for his coronation suit, stood on a pedestal, looking out of a window. There was an island far in the distance, a place he'd looked at with pity ever since he started realizing the kingdom's situation.

The soon-to-be-king was pulled out of his thoughts when his parents walked into the room.

"How is it possible that you're gonna be crowned king next month?" his father, King Beast, asked, a proud smile on his face. "You're just a baby."

"He's turning 16, dear," Belle reminded, beaming up at her husband before looking at their son.

"Hey, pops," Ben said casually, looking as if he wanted to step off of the pedestal to properly welcome his parents.

"16? That's far too young to be crowned king," Beast exclaimed. "I didn't make a good decision until I was at least 42."

Belle raised her eyes from the cloth she picked up for examination with an offended look on her face. "You decided to marry me at 28."

"Ah, it was either you or the teapot," the current King shrugged, winking at his son who chuckled. "Kidding," he added, looking at his wife.

"Mom, dad," Ben started, finally making the move to step off of the pedestal before being stopped by the tailor. Ben stepped back but continued talking. "I've chosen my first official proclamation."

Beast and Belle looked at each other proudly.

"I've decided that the children on the Isle of the Lost be given a chance—" The Prince paused in hesitation. Either that or he just wanted to breathe. "—to live here in Auradon."

Belle let out a scared squeak, dropping the cloth in her hands in shock.

Ben walked closer to his parents, ignoring the tailor's silent protests. "Every time I look out to the island I feel like they've been abandoned."

"The children of our sworn enemies... living among us?" King Beast asked, his face betraying that he was hoping he'd heard wrong.

"We start out with only a few at first," Ben nodded, not fazed by his father's disappointment. "Only the ones that need our help the most."

Belle nodded. She still looked shocked but she was starting to see her son's point.

"I've already chosen them." Ben gave a grateful smile to his mother.

"Have you?" Beast asked somewhat challengingly, taking a step forth.

"I gave you a second chance," Belle said, calming her husband with a hand on his shoulder before looking back at Ben. "Who are their parents?"

"Cruella de Vil, Jafar, Evil Queen..." The boy's eyes darted up, looking at his parents' expectant faces. "And Maleficent."

The tailor, who'd been pretending that he wasn't listening in, gasped and dropped his keyboard. King Beast was not fond of the idea either. "Maleficent? She is the worst villain in the land!"

"Dad, just hear me out here—"

"I won't hear of it. They are guilty of unspeakable crimes."

The tailor got up and left, excusing himself with a bow that went unnoticed by the royal family.

"Dad, their children are innocent! Don't you think they deserve a shot at a normal life?" Ben's hope faltered for a second as he got no answer. "Dad?"

Belle and Beast exchanged glances. Then Beast sighed. "I suppose their children are innocent, but it still won't do."

"What? Why?" Ben inquired. "If they are innocent, they should—"

"It's not them, son. It's the North. And Wonderland, too."

Ben took a step back as his father mentioned the kingdoms that had formed of countries who refused to become a part of the United States of Auradon.

"As soon as they hear that we have villains in the land they'll start a war — they might think we want to attack them."

"But then let's open the exchange to them, too," Ben advised. "Just a few invitations. They won't accept them, I know, but at least they see we've given them a chance, too."

Beast stayed silent, his eyes cast to the ground as he thought.

"Don't you think it's time, dad?"

Beast sighed again. "I suppose it is. But just a few invitations."

Ben smiled and nodded his thanks to his father who turned around to leave the room. Belle went to follow but stopped in front of her son, adjusting his suit's collar. "Well... Well done." Then she turned, linking her arm with Beast's. "Shall we?"

Ben looked out of the window again, his eyes falling on the Isle of the Lost. He hoped he'd made the right decision. He feared what would happen if he was wrong.