★彡01|09 - "Besides, you're my only true friend here."彡★

It was the next day after school when Y/n realized that she hadn't seen any of her four friends that day. Thus, she went looking for them. She checked the library before heading outside, going to the sports field.

The girl was passing the bleachers when she saw a familiar head of blue. "Hey, Evie," she called before realizing that the other girl was together with some boy who was currently handing Evie his school bag. "Who's your friend?"

"Y/n this is Chad," Evie beamed. "Chad, this is—"

"I know who she is," the blond boy snapped. "Wild animal alert, am I right?" He mocked.

Y/n's eyes narrowed in annoyance. "That was—"

"I'll see you when you're done, alright, Evie?" the boy asked before winking and walking away.

Y/n sighed. "Evie, that guy—"

"I know, I'm sorry, I'm sure he didn't mean—"

"Yeah, whatever, not your fault," Y/n said, shrugging it off. "Have you seen Carlos?"

"He should be somewhere there," Evie nodded to the other side of the bleachers.

"Alright, thanks." Y/n walked away, hearing Doug and Evie started conversing. When she rounded the corner, a whistle sounded. Somebody yelled. Carlos ran past the end of the bleachers, past Y/n.

The girl stared for a moment as she processed the information before taking off after the boy.

As she ran, she considered the comedy of the situation. Carlos ran, chased by a dog. Y/n chased the two. And at some point Y/n realized that behind her was Ben.

Y/n lost sight of Carlos as he entered a forest but she followed the barks of the dog and the terrified screams of Carlos as well as the narrow path and soon reached two trees, which Carlos had climbed to get away from the dog. Y/n panted, not getting the chance to say anything as Ben came up behind her.

"Carlos!" the prince called.

"Ben?" Carlos asked before noticing the girl who was panting, leaning her hands on her knees. "Y/n, help me, this thing is a killer!" He pointed to the dog at the foot of the tree. "He's gonna chase me down and rip out my throat."

Ben carefully picked up the dog who looked around happily, seemingly thinking that it had all been a big game.

"This is a vicious, rabid pack animal!"

Y/n pulled herself up, taking a deep breath. "Carlos... What are you talking about?" She reached her hand out towards the dog slowly.

"He's gonna hurt you!" Carlos screeched, stopping the girl.

Y/n and Ben shared glances.

"Who told you that?" the king-to-be inquired.

"My mother."

"Cruella?" Y/n raised her eyebrows.

"She's a dog expert, a dog yellerer."

"Wait— You mean whisperer?" Y/n cut in, holding back the laugh bubbling up her throat.

Carlos ignored her, turning to Ben. "Why are you holding him, he's gonna attack you!"

"Carlos, you've never actually met a dog, have you?" Ben asked, catching on to something.

"Of course not."

"Dude, meet Carlos and Y/n," Ben spoke, patting the dog's feet. "Carlos, Y/n, this is Dude. He's the campus mutt."

"May I?" Y/n asked, holding her arms out.

Ben nodded, handing Y/n the dog. The girl giggled quietly as the dog licked her face.

Carlos smiled a bit, his stomach churning as he looked at the scene in front of him. "He doesn't look like a vicious, rabid pack animal." He came down from the tree, leaning down so he was on eye level with the dog. "Jeez. You're a good boy, aren't you?"

Y/n smiled, slowly placing the dog in Carlos' arms, their hands touching. Y/n waited for a second, making sure that Carlos had the dog comfortably in his arms before letting go.

"You're a good boy," Carlos chuckled.

"I guess you guys have it pretty rough on the Isle," Ben spoke up, his tone that had been light with amusement just a minute earlier now taking on a grieving tone.

Carlos looked up to the other boy, his eyes flicking to Y/n for the briefest second. "Yeah. Let's just say we don't get a lot of belly rubs."

Ben and Y/n had the decency to smile at Carlos' attempt at lightening the mood. The prince clapped a hand on Carlos' shoulder. "Good boy."

Y/n and Carlos looked at him questioningly.

"I mean you're a good runner — you know, you're fast, you're..." Ben corrected, trailing off awkwardly.

Carlos nodded earnestly. "Oh, yeah. Thank you."

"Yeah... Listen, I'm gonna give you guys some space, yeah?" Ben asked, gesturing back to the trail. "You guys get to know each other and, just, you know, come find me when you're done, okay?"

"Okay," Carlos nodded.

"See you later."

"See you out there."

Y/n watched Ben go before turning to Carlos with a small smile. "I should probably, too, uhh...."

"No, you can— You can stay," Carlos smiled before sitting down, patting the seat beside him. "What brings you here anyway?"

Y/n sat down on the log, too. "I was chasing you, of course."

"No, before that."

"Well, I was searching for you," Y/n said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Carlos' stomach did a flip. "You were?"

"Yeah, I was wondering if we could maybe hang out," Y/n said, fiddling with her hands to keep herself busy. "Besides, you're my only true friend here."

Carlos smiled, bumping Y/n shoulder with his own. "Likewise." Then his eyes widened. "Besides the others, of course, but we were friends before, too, so that doesn't really count," he rambled.

Y/n smiled. "Yeah. I know what you mean."