She's Mine

3rd Person

It was a normal day, just like any. Chase and his family were on a walk around the park. All was well until they noticed a hot dog stand. "Mom! Can we get hot dogs?" Chase asked excitedly. Sarah laughed and shook her head. "No, Chase. That thing's way to big for you! (Ahem) Sarah looked at Thomas, her husband, and laughed. "He's so energetic. Can you believe he's only three weeks old?" Thomas smiled. "I know," He said. "That's Chase for you." "Hey, I'm also here!" Chase's sister, Rose got in between Sarah and Thomas. "Yes, we know." Sarah laughed.

Suddenly, Tall people in black sweaters started cornering the family. Chase was extremely confused, but Thomas and Sarah knew exactly what was going on. "What do you want from us?" Thomas demanded. "WHERE IS IT?" Thomas stared the leader down who had just emerged from the crowd. "We'll never tell you." He said, challenging him. The leader looked disappointed.  "Wrong answer." He said, and pulled out a gun from his pocket. He immediately started gunning down the entire family. Chase watched in horror, as Rose, Sarah, and Thomas all dropped to the ground. All their lives, gone, just like that. The leader turned his gun to Chase, but for some reason, fumbled it, and dropped it to the ground. Chase quickly picked it up, the anger bubbling inside of him. The leader put his arms in the air, and everyone behind him followed suit. "H-hey, you don't even know what it does! You don't want to be playing with stuff like that it's dangerous." Chase looked at him, dead in the eye. "LOOK AT WHAT YOU JUST DID! YOU THINK I'M GOING TO LET YOU GET AWAY WITH THAT!" Chase held down the trigger of the gun, killing everyone in the gang. Or so he thought. Once he had realized the leader had escaped, it was far too late. He looked back at his family, the rage diminishing, and the realization hit harder than any bullet could. His family was dead.

Chase

That's when I woke up. I was panting, and scared half to death. When I finally calmed myself down, I started crying. "Come on Chase, this was a long time ago."  I tried to reassure myself, but it was no use. I missed them like hell. Even if I wasn't very old, I still remember it like it was yesterday. I suddenly heard a knock on my door. "Chase?" It was Skye. I willed myself to stop crying, for my own sake, and I pushed open the door. "Yeah?" I responded, my voice cracking very hard. "Chase, what happened." She said, and she sounded like a mother. I stopped pretending. "Sorry, bad dream. I didn't mean to wake you up." I said. "No, I couldn't sleep. You didn't wake me up, but that's not the point. You wanna tell me about it?" I nodded. "I dreamt about the day that my parents died. And my sister too.  The whole thing is really haunting me now that Mallory has shown his face again." Skye looked confused. "But I thought you were abandoned in adventure city." She said. "I was," I replied. "I was brought to the pound after my parents were killed, and soon enough, I was adopted. But they decided they didn't want me, and dropped me on the streets. Ryder left the part about my family out of his story, when he told you guys what happened."

There was silence for a while, and the sound of Skye's breathing was the only thing I could hear. Finally, she whispered. "I'm so sorry. that's awful." I looked away from her so she wouldn't see me crying. "But, you know, good things came out of it too. If Ryder had never found me, I wouldn't be here today. Nobody would. We would have never met. And think of the amazing lives we have here, and the amazing people that we get to like these lives with." Skye smiled at this. This is it homie, tell her. I tried to force my next words out of my mouth, but nothing came out. My heart was beating so fast, and it was then I realized that I didn't have the courage to tell her. She was looking at me expectantly, but when she realized I wasn't going to say anything, she looked disappointed. I was too chicken. It really stung because I really thought she liked me back. The last few days were proof.

"Well, um I'm going to go back to bed now." She said, and with that, she left, leaving me heartbroken. How did I fuck that up? She had left the pup house door open, and that's when I noticed a figure standing behind the big tree. It was a person. I felt a rush of fear immediately as It was staring at me. Then it clicked in my brain that there was only one person that this could possibly be.

I bolted out of my pup house to confront the man. As I suspected, it was Mallory. Skye, who had noticed the man too, was by my side. "The fuck do you want?" I asked, trying to act tougher than I actually was to try and scare him off. It didn't work. "I want you. You and I have some unfinished business," He looked at Skye. "You, can fuck off." He kicked Skye, sending her flying back. She hit the ground, clenching her chest.

It was at that moment that something inside of me just completely snapped, no, shattered. "What the FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!" I hollered. "YOU WANNA FIGHT ME, FINE YOU CAN HAVE ME, BUT HOW FUCKING DARE YOU LAY A SINGLE ONE OF YOUR HIDEOUS FINGERS ON HER!" He stepped back. "Fine, I'll leave your girlfriend alone, but I'm not done with you." I came right up to him. "You wanna go? Fine," I snarled. "Meet me at the beach, 2pm tomorrow. To. The. Death." He smirked. "Say less." He pulled out a motorcycle from behind the tree, and rode away. I directed my attention to Skye, who had got up, but still looked like she was in pain. "Oh my god, Skye, are you okay?" She groaned. "Yeah I'll be fine. But did you really mean that you were going to fight him to the death?" She sounded really concerned. I snorted. "No," I lied. "We'll set up a trap for him, so when he shows up, he gets arrested." She seemed to relax a bit. "When did you say you were going to meet him?" She asked. "In a few days. We'll have time to prepare" She smiled at me, and I could tell she was exhausted. She leaned into me, and I could feel warmth spreading through my body, and my hairs stood up on end. "Thank you for standing up for me." She whispered, and headed back to her pup house.

I suddenly felt really guilty about lying to her. But I knew that if I told her the truth, she would try to stop me. I knew this bullshit had to come to the end. Mallory showed no regard for my family's life, and showed no remorse while committing the vile acts I've seen him do. I knew fighting him would be hard, and probably deadly, but there were things and people in my life that I was willing to die for.