Stay With Me

Skye

We watched TV for what felt like forever, just waiting for Chase to arrive. After 2 hours, we all got impatient. "Oh my dog, what is taking Chase so long?" Marshall asked. Ryder, who was with us, said, "If you guys really want to see Chase, just wake him up." We all thought about it for a second. "How about we give him to the end of this episode, then we'll wake him up?" I offered, and everyone agreed. So we watched another episode, but I wasn't playing attention to it. I was thinking about Chase, again. I wanted to be with him so bad, and the last few days had just tortured me with this feeling.

Eventually, the episode ended and we all went to get Chase. I knocked softly on his pup house door and stepped back into the crowd of pups around me. Nobody answered. "Chase, we know you're in there!"  Rubble said with a strange voice that made us all laugh. But, still he didn't answer. "Is it impossible to wake him up or-" Marshall trailed off. "Just open the door!" Zuma complained. I slid his pup house door open, but he wasn't there. Confusion swept over the group, and we headed back inside to inform Ryder of our missing teammate. "Ryder, have you seen Chase?" I asked. Ryder shook his head. "No, I thought he was sleeping." Worry flooded through me. What if something happened to him? "He's not in his pup house," I said. "Can you track his pup tag?" Ryder pulled out his weird ass phone. "Chase is... at the beach? That's weird." I relaxed a little. "Maybe he went for a walk." Marshall said. "I'll try to contact him, just in case. I'm sure he's fine though." Ryder responded.

"Chase?" Ryder asked through the pup tag. No response. After numerous failed attempts at contacting Chase, we decided that we'd better go check on him. Marshall and I went with Ryder, but Rocky, Rubble and Zuma stayed back. We pulled into the parking lot, where a motorcycle resided. I looked around, at first not seeing anything. Then, I saw it. My heart sank into a hole and my mouth dropped wide open. 

There, lay Chase, and Mallory, both of them were practically swimming in their blood. I stood there and stared at their lifeless bodies. "Fuck." I whispered. Marshall and Ryder were beside me now, and none of us moved.

Finally I broke out of the daze I was in, and I ran to Chase, my feet getting heavier with each step. I stopped at his side, and checked his pulse. "He's alive," I said. "But we need to get him to the hospital. Quickly." Mallory was dead, though.

We rushed him to the hospital, Ryder carrying him on his motorbike. We barged through the hospital doors, and nurse, who was previously talking to someone in the waiting room, took one look at Chase, and said "Follow me."

She brought us to a private room with a hospital bed, and a couple of chairs beside it. She took Chase from Ryder and put him down on the bed. I watched as she hooked up different machines on Chase, one that monitored his heart beats, and a breathing mask. 

I sat on one of the chairs, and waited. I completely zoned out, still in shock. You know when you looking at something but you're not paying attention to it whatsoever? That was me. I didn't even move when the other pups came in. I was just worried sick. I couldn't even begin to contemplate what the hell I would do with myself if he died. I would be a hot mess.

It was then that the doctor walked in with a clipboard, and I prayed for the best. "The wound is not fatal-," He began, but everyone cut him off with cheers. "I'm not finished. The wound isn't fatal, but with the amount of blood he lost, you never know." The room went SILENT. It was the most eerie silence I've ever experienced. I shut my eyes tight, and tried to avoid crying. I was hanging on for dear life, with the sheer hope that Chase would pull through.

Chase

When I opened my eyes, I was met with a blinding light. I closed my eyes, and hoped they would adjust. Eventually, I opened my eyes, expecting to be on the beach, but instead, I was in a park. I immediately recognized the park as the place my family was killed, but except everything so so bright like I was in- My thoughts were interrupted by a voice behind me "Chase?" I snapped my head, and faced my mom. My mouth dropped. Standing behind my mom, was my dad and rose. "Mom?" I whispered. She smiled, and nodded. "Mom!" I ran into her arms. She hugged me tightly, and I hugged her back. Dad and Rose join in too. I missed you guys so much." I said, now crying. "We missed you too, son." My Dad responded. Eventually, we pulled back from the hug, but I was still crying, and my Mom was too. "You guys were taken too soon." I muttered. "Chase, it's okay, we're all together now."

Skye

I was still in the hospital room, and Chase's heartbeats were slowing down. My eyes were filled with tears, and all I could hear was the nervous whispers of the other pups. I couldn't hear Chase's breathing through the machine. I closed my eyes, and prayed for him. Please Chase, stay with me. I love you

And then he flatlined. "Chase!" I yelled. I jumped on on the bed, and did my best impression of CPR, from what I've seen. Ryder was silently sobbing, and I heard him get up and walk over to the bed. "Skye, he's gone." He muttered. "No," I cried. "It's too soon. He can't die. He can't." Hot tears were streaming down my face. "Skye, please." Ryder whispered, but I ignored him. "Chase, come on, please wake up. Chase, wake up!" I gave up, and buried my face in my paws, sobbing hard, my entire body shaking.

"Skye, it's time to go." Ryder said, tears also streaming down his face. He scooped me up, but I scratched him. "PUT ME DOWN!" I yelled. I scratched his face again, and he dropped me. Marshall got up, and he and Ryder dragged me out the door by my feet.

I screamed, the most blood curdling thing that ever came out of my mouth. "CHASE! N-no. Please." The last one came out as a whisper.

Chase 

I walked with my family through the park, tears of joy leaving my eyes occasionally. Eventually, we got to a white portal looking thing. "This is where we have to say goodbye." My mom says. I stopped in disbelief. "C-can I join you?" I knew that after I stepped in there, there was no going back. My mother smiled. "Of course," I took a couple steps forward, but then I stopped. I looked back at the park. I knew this wasn't earth anymore. I was dead. I turned back to the portal, but my Mom put out out one of her paws to stop me. "But not yet." She finished. "You still have many things to live for. It's not your time, Chase." I stared at her, and an understanding flashed between us. "When will I see you again?" I asked. My mother smiled. "When you're ready." She replied. I hugged her one last time, and they stepped into the portal, and were gone.

I woke up in a hospital room, with a breathing mask. I ripped it off, and sat up. I scanned my surroundings. I was on a hospital bed, and the other pups were gathered near the waiting chairs. When they noticed me their eyes went wider than I've ever seen before. I looked to my right and saw Skye, being dragged out of the room by Ryder and Marshall. They stopped what they were doing, and stared at me too.

Without warning, Skye yelled. "CHASE!" She broke free of Ryder and Marshall's grasp, and jumped up on the bed, and hugged me tightly. I could hear her crying, as I hugged back. "I thought I lost you." She whispered. What was faint crying, turned into sobs. "I'm sorry." I whispered back. She eventually calmed herself down, and she looked angry. "Why would you do something like that?" She yelled, and my heart sank. I couldn't even begin to explain my decisions, so I just hung my head. Without saying another word, she left.

After the dust settled, my wound was bandaged and we were all able to go home. I wasn't focused on anything except for Skye. I needed to apologize and I needed to tell her.

K guys, I need your opinion. I'm contemplating whether or not to have a mature ending. I won't go into details about it or anything, It'll just cut right before "It" Happens.

Yes or no?