I Love You

Chase

I rode home with Ryder in his motorbike.  I really felt bad for going directly against what he had said. Basically, I fucked up big time.

When we got home, Ryder picked me up, and brought me inside. I could walk, so I was surprised by this. His eyes were red, and I could tell he'd been crying. He put me down on my bean bag. "I'm sorry, Ryder." I said, sincerely. He smiled at me. "It's okay bud. I'm just glad you're alright. I think it's Skye you have to worry about." He sighed, and plopped down next to me. "She really does like you, you know" I plucked up the courage to direct my gaze at him. I don't know why that was so hard for me nowadays. "Yeah. I like her too. I just don't know why it's so hard to tell her about it." It was really frustrating me, but I really felt like today was the day. "I feel you. But if she's really who you want to spend the rest of your life with, then you have to do something." I nodded. "I know." He smiled. "Come on bud, you got this." I couldn't help but smile back.

Throughout the day, I kept contemplating how I would go about approaching Skye. Various scenarios circled through my head throughout the day. It was a pretty normal evening, except for the fact that there was a little social anxiety lingering throughout the group, due to the events of the day. It was 4:30 when we got back home, so it was dark a few hours after we got back. Before I knew it, my window was closing, and fast. I knew it was my time to make a move.

At dinner, it wasn't me who approached Skye, but vise versa. She came up to me, and my stomach fell into a pit. Despite feeling nervous, I tried to ignore the burning sensation on my cheeks. "Chase?" She asked, cautiously. I looked up at her. "Yeah?" I could barely force the word out. It was the same story over and over again, of just being incredibly nervous around Skye, and not being able to talk to her normally. "We need to talk," She said. "Can you meet me outside in an hour?" There it was. My chance. "Sure." I responded.

An hour. That gave me enough time to mentally prepare myself. I decided to head to my pup house for a while. The main objective was to tell her, but I needed to apologize first. I just hoped she would forgive me. 

The "Hour" felt like five minutes. I went out a little early to enjoy my last moments stress free. I sat under the stars in the place where I usually would. I looked up at the beautiful night sky, not a single cloud in sight. The pit in my stomach was unignorable and I was nervous as hell, as I usually was when I talked to Skye. But this was different.

After a few minutes, I heard footsteps behind me, and Skye sat down next to me. Everything felt heavy, and I thought I was gonna start trembling because of how scared I was. I found myself not even being able to look at her. "Hey." I managed. She looked right at me, and I forced myself to look back. "You know what's coming, right?" She asked. I nodded, and went back to looking at the ground. "You lied to my face. You lied multiple times, and didn't even FLINCH! And you almost got yourself killed! What happened?!" I couldn't even look up. "I'm not going to try to justify my actions," I said, dejectedly. "As usual, I fucked up." The talk that I had planned went flying out the window.

Skye loosened up a bit. "Just tell me why." She whispered. I dared a look at her, and she looked genuinely concerned. "Something inside me changed when he came back. It brought back bad memories. And then, when he kicked you, I saw the hatred in his eyes, and It completely set me off." I was in tears now. "I thought I had to deal with it myself, but I realize now that it was a stupid thing to do." 

Skye looked at me, her majestic pink eyes reflecting the night sky. "Me?" She asked. Mallory killed your family, pointed a gun at your face that he didn't know was fake, and threatened to kill all of us for god's sake! Why would it be me that set you off?!" 

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU, OKAY?" I blurted. Skye's eyes widened, and it felt like the world was in slow motion. "Just look at me Skye. I'm a wreck. And somehow, through all of it you stuck with me. Every time I look at you, my face goes red, a-and my stomach falls into a pit, and-" I was spluttering, and a tear rolled down my cheek. "I'm sorry." I muttered, and look at the ground again. I felt Skye left my chin, and directed my face towards hers. "May I?" She asked. I blushed. "Has anyone ever told you that you have beautiful eyes?" She smiled. "Is that a yes?" She leaned in and kissed me. My mind was racing. Is this really happening? Here I was being kissed by the love of my life, and I wasn't even dreaming this time.

We sat there, under the night sky, lips locked. She was so gentle, it felt like I was melting. Eventually, I pulled back, she pulled me back and did it again. Finally, after what seemed like and enternity, she pulled back, and looked me in the eye, her cheeks red as a cherry. "I love you too," She said, uncontrollably smiling. "Always have, always will." I smiled back, but my stomach still had butterflies. "Isn't this the part where the nerves go away?" I joked, my cheeks still burning. "I thought so." She replied. Man, I love that voice.

We sat under the stars for a while, the now distant memories of the previous argument seemed so far away. We talked for a while, enjoying each other's company. "It's getting late," I said. "Maybe we should head to bed. She looked at me, with an animated disappointed look on her face. "Aww," She pouted. "This is fun!" She leaned her head on my side, and my hair stood up on end, electricity running through my body. "Well..." I stopped, teasing her. "Well, what?" She chuckled. "Do you wanna sleep with me?" I asked, holding my breath. "Of course" She comfirmed.

When I laid down, I realized how tired I was. Skye came and laid down next to me. All of this still felt so surreal. "It feels like I'm dreaming." Skye said, literally reading my mind. "I was thinking the exact same thing." I said, truthfully. She leaned in, and kissed me one last time. "I love you, Chase." She said, leaning in to me. "I love you too Skye." I whispered into her ear. I had done it. Not in the way I'd expected, but here I was, sleeping with the love of my life.

And here, in the dark, that meant the world to me.