Ruben X Reader - Bad Grade

This was a request on tumblr

Enjoy!

It was date night, however you were not in the mood after the bad grade you received on your bachelor's thesis today.

"Do you want to see a movie? I heard they're showing some good ones right now." Ruben asked.

"No." You muttered.

Ruben had just gotten home from training and found you in the kitchen, flipping through the pages of a gardening magazine. He probably thought it was strange, considering the two of you lived in a 24th story apartment building.

"No? How about dinner. I heard there's a cool new sushi place that just opened downtown."

You sighed. "I dunno Ruben, downtown Manchester on a Friday? I don't really wanna deal with crowded restaurants tonight."

"Um...okay." Ruben scratched the back of his head. Perhaps he was running out of options that would satisfy you. You felt bad for making him go out of his way.

"Perhaps we should cancel date night?" You said, setting aside the gardening magazine.

"Cancel date night?" Ruben looked worried. "Why would we do that?"

"I dunno know Ruben, after today I'm not really in the mood for anything." You thought back to the hours you spent working on your thesis. All of that work for a mediocre grade, what a damn shame.

"I just think I'm gonna take a shower, watch Netflix and go to bed."

Ruben let out a deep sigh. He was cleary disappointed with you, but nodded understandingly. "Should I make us some popcorn then?"

You came around the kitchen counter where he stood, wrapping your arms around his stem and weighing on your toes to reach his lips. "Yes please and thank you for understanding."

Ruben leaned down, pressing his lips against yours. "Of course." He said. "I'll be waiting for you in the living room when you get back."

You hurried to the bathroom, taking a quick shower without washing your hair. You returned to the living room after changing into your comfy clothes, but to your surprise the living room was empty.

"Ruben?"

"In here."

His voice led you back to the kitchen.

"What are you....?"

You paused in the frame, seeing Ruben dressed in a white apron stained with...

"Chocolate? Ruben are you baking?"

The flour stain on his cheek gave him away.

"I'm making my mother's famous cupcakes." He smiled.

"Um...right."

It was a pleasant surprise. You had no idea that Ruben could bake.

"But why are you...?"

"My mother used to make me these sometimes after school." He said.

"Oh. I had no idea."

"Yeah, I didn't have that many friends in middle school and sometimes the other kids would give me a hard time for being so passionate about football at such a young age."

"Really?" You frowned.

Ruben had never told you this story before.

"Yes, so my mother used to make me these chocolate icing cupcakes. To cheer me up, you know."

"Ruben, that's so sweet." He was trying to cheer you up, you thought. How sweet of him to do so despite your foul mood.

"Come here." He waved. "Put this on and help me with the icing."

You did just that, moving to stand between Ruben and the kitchen Island. He draped a matching apron over your head.

"Turn around."

His hands went around your waist tying a knot behind your back. You then stayed like that, with your back pressed to Rubens front, his tall figure cradling you whilst he rested his chin on your shoulder.

"Help me blend the chocolate batter like this." His voice was in your ear, his lips caressing your lobe. He handed you the bowl and whisker, putting his own hand over yours, guiding you through the right movments, making you mix the icing until smooth. He then let you licked the tip of the whisker before doing so himself.

"It's perfect, no?"

"It's too sweet." You said.

He frowned and leand over the counter to read a piece of paper with his writing on it. "I did it just like my mother would."

"I'm sure you did." You chuckled. "But for a person who blends orange juice with water, I'm sure these cupcakes we'll be too sweet for you."

Rubens torso vibrated against your back as he chuckled. "I think I can handle one cupcake or two."

"If you say so." You smiled. It was the perfect date night. Ruben always knew how to cheer you up when he needed to. He was so stubborn about doing it too. You enjoyed the cupcakes in front of the TV, watching movies all night, eventually falling asleep on the sofa. It was nights like these that gave you the strength to keep fighting for your bachelor's degree, knowing you always had Rubens support for when things got tough. He was your nr 1 supporter and that was enough for you to keep at it.

"So keep at it girl!"