Learn With Time

This was requested on tumblr as I'm doing another Seven Days Of Requests.

Enjoy!

Easter. Ruben was the one who suggested that the family celebrate it in his home country, Portugal. It would give your three children a chance to practice their Portuguese, although your two oldest, Carlos and Carolina, were practically fluent by now.

It was a beautiful sunny day, and the kids were excited to go on an Easter egg hunt in the garden.

"Where is Sofia?" You asked, looking around the backyard of Ruben's parents' house.

"Isn't she out hunting for eggs somewhere?" Ruben said as he flipped the burger patties that lay on the grill.

"With who?"

The children were running around in pairs, with Carlos and Carolina both having paired up with their cousins.

"Ruben, she's gone?"

"Hey." He left the grill to put a calming hand on shoulder. "I'm sure she's around somewhere. Who knows, she might be out egg hunting by herself."

"I don't know, Ruben." Your instincts as a mother told you otherwise. Sofia had been excited to go egg hunting with her cousins. Why would she decide to do it alone all of a sudden. The feeling in your gut told you that something must have happened to her.

"Hey, if it would make you feel better, I'll go look for her."

"You will?" You turned to your husband. The evening sun lit up the smile on his handsome face.

"Just keep an eye on the grill for me, will you?"

You nodded. "Okay."

He stepped forward, planting a swift kiss on your lips. "Be right back."

Whilst Ruben began his search for your daughter, somewhere hidden amongst a colorful bed of tulips was Sofia, feeling left out of the egg hunt.

Unlike her brother and sister, she did not jump at the opportunity to pair up with her cousins. She was hoping that one of them would be kind enough to ask her to be a pair. You see, Sofia loved playing with her cousins, but unlike her siblings, she barely understood a word of what they said. At times, it made her feel left out, left out by the fact that she never understood what the joke was about. She never understood when to laugh.

Sofia could tell that her siblings were getting tired of translating everything for her, that she should know the basic frases by now and although her parents told her that her Portuguese would improve with time, Sofia suffered. Leaving her feeling left out of the annual egg hunt.

"Boo!"

Sofia let out an ear shattering shriek as something, someone, grabbed a hold of her leg. She sat up from where she had been laying amongst the tulips and was surprised to see Ruben laughing at her frightened reaction.

"Papa!" She groand. "You scared me."

"Did I?"

Ruben plotted down beside your daughter. He noted her print in the flower bed. Ruben's mother was very fond of her flowers. As a child, he would never hear the end of it whenever his football ended up crushing one of them. "Why aren't you out egg hunting with your brother and sister?" He asked.

"Because..." Sofia muttered, tucking her knees to rest under her chin.

"Is something wrong?"

"Yes?"

"Oh." Ruben looked to your daughter, her face all crinkled up into a displeased frowned. To him, it was adorable, although he understood that something had clearly upset her. "Would you care to enlighten me about what's wrong?"

"Yes. My Portuguese."

"You're Portuguese?" Now Ruben was the one looking displeased. "What's wrong with your Portuguese?" He had taught his children everything he knows. What could possibly be wrong with Sofia's...

"Papa, I don't know how to speak it, at least not as well as Carlos and Carolina."

"Mas querida," Ruben sighed. "Você aprenderá com o tempo."

"You see!" Sofia exclaimed. "I have no idea of what you just said."

Ruben chuckled. "I said, you'll learn how to speak Portuguese with time. Haven't your mother and I already told you that?"

"But Papa, I want to know how to speak Portuguese now!!!"

Ruben pulled Sofia towards him, allowing her body to rest against his side. They remained like that for a while, just listening to the noises surrounding them. There was laughter from the other children. They were still running around, looking for Easter eggs.

"You know, I don't see why not knowing Portuguese should stop you from egg hunting." Ruben said, squeezing your daughter with the arm he held around her.

"I didn't know how to ask anyone to be in pairs with me." She confessed. "Everyone was taken before I could ask Carolina to help me translate."

"I see." Ruben nodded, an idea litting up in his mind. "How about if we pair up?"

"Really?" Sofia perked up. "You would do that for me?"

He smiled. "I would do anything for you."

The two of them shared a hug, with Ruben helping Sofia to get back on her feet.

"Do you still think there's any eggs left to find?" She asked.

"I hope so. But let's not waste any more time and start looking."

A twinkle of determination appeared in your daughters eyes. "Okay, Papa. Let's do it, let's find the eggs." she said, her voice a little stronger.

Together, the two of them set out to find the last remaining Easter eggs. They searched high and low, laughing and chatting as they went. Sofia was having the time of her life, and she was so happy to be spending this special day with her dad.

As they were about to give up, the two of them stumbled upon the last egg hidden behind a large bush. Sofia squealed with delight and sought you out to show off their findings.

"There you are!" You exclaimed at the sight of her.

"Mommy, Mommy, Papa, and I found the last Easter egg. Look!"

You looked to Ruben, who trailed his steps behind your daughter. His smile assured you that everything was fine with Sofia, that you could relax now.

"Good job, honey." You bent down to inspect the egg. "I bet there is a suprise hidden for you inside of it."

"There is?" She gasped.

"How about you take a look?"

You and Ruben watched your daughter unwrapped the egg without mercy, laughing at the way her eyes lit up as she discovered that the egg was made out of pure chocolate.

"Papa look!" Sofia squealed. "It's chocolate."

"How about you show it off to your brother and sister, I bet they didn't find an egg such as yours."

And with that, Sofia was gone, eager to join her siblings and cousins. And as Ruben wrapped his arms around your waist, forcing you to meet his complecant grin, you knew that all was well in paradise. The life you shared with Ruben was simply just that, paradise.