Set Me Free Part 10

Ruben and Carla have grown apart. With Rubens career taking off he leaves Portugal to live the life of his dreams, breaking Carla's heart doing so. Years later, upon his return home, Ruben learns that Carla has moved on, happily engaged to another man, but not any man, Ruben's childhood bully João Mendes.

Enjoy!

"Carla, will you marry me?"

"No." She snorted.

Carla was on her bed, going through her notes from class and hadn't noticed Ruben kneeling down before her, a black box in his hand.

"Oh my God, you were serious!"

She raised her head from her notebook, wondering why he had fallen so silent. Her eyes widened in surprise at the sight of Ruben and his lost expression as he stood frozen, kneeling on one knee.

"W....why wouldn't I be?" He stammered.

"Ruben, you can't be serious?" Carla threw her books aside and climbed out of bed.

"Of course I am, I love you."

Carla glanced at her door in panic. If her mother were to burst into her room right now, her life would be over. If her dad were the one to walk in, well.....Ruben's life would be over.

"Ruben, baby, what's this about?" Carla grabbed his hands and pulled him back to his feet. Ruben's untamed hair fell over his eyes. Carla removed a few hair strands so that he could see, since his hands refused to let go of the black jewelry box. He looked defeated. On the verge of tears.

"Whose ring is that?" Carla pointed.

Ruben looked to his hands, to his family's only heirloom. "It was my grandmother's." He mumbled. "It would be yours if you'd say yes."

"Oh, Ruben."

He looked up, red heat patches on his cheeks. Carla felt slightly guilty for embarrassing him. But it was all absurd. "I want to marry you, I really do." She said,

"You do?" He perked up, eyes laced with hope.

She nodded. "Someday."

"Oh."

Ruben put away the jewelry box, stuffing it back into his pocket.

"I don't understand?" Carla said. "What made you want to..."

"I turn eighteen next week."

"So?"

"I thought that you would want to...." Ruben shook his head in frustration. He couldn't find the right words to tell her. "I thought that you and I could..." It was unusual for him to be shy around Carla. Around the rest of the world, yes. But not her.

"....could get married when we both turn eighteen?" Carla said, helping him fill out the blanks.

"Yes." Ruben sighed, although her words did not do him justice.

"Ruben." She stepped forward, grabbing a hold of his hand. "We have plenty of time to get married. Why rush just because we'll both be eighteen soon?"

Ruben stared blankly at her.

"Now, let's get back to doing homework, shall we?"

Carla tried leading him back to her bed, but Ruben was unmoveable.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

Ruben looked pale, his eyes a bit distant. "I have to go." He said, fighting for Carla to let go of his arm. She did and watched Ruben run out of her room, down the stairs and out of her house.