𝟐

HANA BLINKED her eyes open, coming back to awakeness after a short nap

HANA BLINKED her eyes open, coming back to awakeness after a short nap. She knew she desperately needed a cup of coffee in the next few minutes or she'll be feeling deadly exhausted for a whole day. Stretching her arms above her head, she was still lying on her comfortable mattress with her eyes closed. She ran her hand over the space beside her, sensing the messily rolled-up covers left alone on the other side of the bed.

Swiftly sitting up — shocked by the absence of her brother — she surveyed the room and noticed a small figure seated in the corner. Jihoon sat silently, his face buried in his knees and his arms wrapped around himself. Without hesitation, she got to her feet and approached him, kneeling in front of him while gently running her fingers through his brown hair. "Hello there, buddy," she whispered softly, her hand smoothing out the untidy strands that fell over his face. "Are you alright?" Taking a seat beside him, she lightly rubbed his shoulders, patiently waiting for him to relax and confront her.

"I don't want the monster to be back tonight," Jihoon murmured, his words barely loud enough for Hana. Nevertheless, she managed to piece together the sentence, pulling him closer onto her crossed legs, and cradling him securely in a comforting embrace. Jihoon returned the hug, his sobs gradually died down as he found solace in the warmth of his older sister's arms. Exhausted from crying, he began to feel drowsy after what — to Hana — seemed like a long time. "I'll protect you no matter what," she guaranteed him, receiving a faint nod in response.

Hana couldn't help but smile as his sobs quieted down completely. She stood up, carefully placing her brother on the bed and creasing him in the blankets, gently wiping away the dried tears from his cheeks with her hands. Heading downstairs, she set out to clean up the leftover of last night's terror and prepare a delicious breakfast for both of them.

She expressed her displeasure with a growl upon catching the sight of the plates and cups spread across the floor, their broken parts splattered everywhere. The sight confused her seriously, wondering which terrifying creature had frightened her brother to the extent that he wreaked havoc upon half of the house. However, she decided not to think about it too much, planning to bring back the subject when he felt ready to talk about it.

Standing before the messy scene, she regretted deep into her soul, teaching her brother the importance of independence by showing him for example, how to take out the plates from the top drawers on his own. Letting out a heavy sigh, she bent over, picking up the scattered items from the floor. Carefully selecting the undamaged ones, she organized them carefully on the big kitchen island, while placing the broken pieces in a large cardboard box she had brought from the garage. Ensuring that everything was in its proper place, she also checked the drawers themselves to avoid any further accidents and the collapse of more dishes.

Moving the cardboard box to a corner of the now tidied room, she settled onto the sofa, sipping water from one of the undamaged cups. After the hard task of cleaning up, she felt a hint of exhaustion and decided it was time for a short relaxation before accompanying her brother to his room to clean up the mess.