Chapter 7

Cyrus Anders

   Cyrus groaned when he woke up. His entire body hurt, and he couldn’t even remember why. When he thought of the night before, he got some glimpses, but not much. He knew Tempest had been mad, like really mad. Then something hit his head. He thought he was on the floor? Nothing really added up in his brain but the pure sense of unbridled fear that was in his memories.

Something that you got used to when you were around a person like Tempest for extended periods of time was the constant worry for your own well-being. But this wasn’t the type of emotion that usually sprang up around the older man. This was deeper. Cyrus Anders was not sure what had happened the night before, but he was sure that it had been bad. Bad enough that he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know, and for Cyrus to not want to know something was a big deal.

In order to distance himself from those theorizing thoughts of his, the boy opened up his eyes and looked around the room. After about two seconds of inspection, he realized he was in the same room he had been in the last time he had been knocked out. Wow, being knocked out was becoming a surprisingly common thing for him.

Cyrus attempted to get up, but the second he tried, his body exploded with more pain than he’d felt in his entire life. Tears pricked up in his eyes, but he tried again and again until he had pulled himself into a sitting position. After that, he was sent to the mission of getting off the bed. Every single movement sent flairs throughout his body, but he kept pushing.

He leaned on the bed for support as he walked slowly. He wasn’t sure where he was going, but he was going somewhere. So, he continued to lean until he had reached the end of the bed and saw a mirror out of the corner of his eye. He painstakingly turned because what he saw in the corner of his eyes had confused him.

That was until he actually turned and saw what was staring back at him in the mirror. He reached one of his hands up to his face, the other still holding onto the bed, and traced the marks. He was wearing just a large t-shirt, which allowed him to see the majority of the bruises that scattered his skin.

Black, blue, purple, and yellow coated his body, and no matter how much he wanted to pretend that it was just pain, he knew it wasn’t. His cheeks seemed a little less full than last time he saw them, and the rest of his frame overall did seem a bit skinnier. He wondered how long he had been out.

All he remembered while being down was this darkness, but not bad darkness. It was almost peaceful. Certainly more peaceful than he had been in the past couple of years. It was really nice. Cyrus was sorta sad that he had to leave that behind for this agony inducing pain that he was experiencing.

He was knocked out of his thoughts when the door to the room suddenly opened and the very person he had been hoping wouldn’t enter did, Tempest.

His boss was dressed in a nice suit and had a smile on his face. That wasn’t the craziest thing ever. His boss’s moods were just like his powers of storm, unpredictable. What surprise him was that trailing behind Tempest was another person.

The new person was fairly tall and had dark brown hair. His eyes were also dark in both color and the emotion that they held. The stranger wore a similar fancy suit too, but the color of it had more of a reddish tint to it. He held himself high and seemed very self respecting. The type of person that Cyrus would’ve likely looked up to before being kidnapped.

“Cyrus, lovely to see you’re awake. There’s someone I’d like you to meet.” Tempest broke him out of his studying of the newcomer.

“This young man is Magnum. He’s looking into a full life of living with us. He had extraordinary abilities of being able to affect the temperature, though he mostly specializes in heat.” Cyrus made mental notes for every bit of information, beginning to wonder why they were being introduced.