Chapter 21

Cyrus Anders

Cyrus felt Juli’s hands squeeze his again as another wave of pain hit him. He technically shouldn’t be with the boy, but he just simply wouldn’t leave the building without him, no matter what. He remembered back when the battle was happening. Specifically the end of it, which had been eventful.

He had first been amazingly happy when he first found out that the attack had been successful until he realized that Brynleigh wasn’t with him anymore. He checked multiple floors before he finally went up to the top floor to find her near her office sitting on the floor. It was obvious that the state of her leg had worsened, so he had approached her to help. She seemed to be a bit out of it due to blood loss. If he hadn’t been so worried, he might have found it really funny.

She had just been huffing really loud whenever he tried to get to the wound or did something with it, which had been a bit annoying, but he could deal with it. But then it seemed like she didn’t really know where they were or who he was because when told her that they had won the whole ordeal, she didn’t know what he was talking about. Then she began to try and touch his face and call him ‘pretty’. He had blushed a bit at the compliment, admittedly, but he had tried to put her hand down because it was distracting him. But she just wouldn’t give up, so he eventually, and very begrudgingly, let her keep it there as she still continued to mumble about his ‘prettiness’.

After a little while, he had done all he could do for her. He saw some people from Helt coming up to the building to take heroes that were more injured than others back to Helt to give them proper medical treatment. Apparently, they had a whole medical facility there. When they had seen Brynleigh, they immediately said that they wanted to take her back there, and he had let them, obviously.

That incident had taken a longer time than he had thought it had at that moment, and he was surprised when he saw the clock. Seeing the time, seeing it was very late, he went down  multiple flights of stairs to get to the bottom of the building and meet his sister. When he started to get close to the bottom and got very tired, he heard his name being called loudly and in a panicked manner.

He looked around to try and find the source of the yelling, and he eventually stumbled upon a crying Juli who was red in the face and crying screaming for him. The more professional medic told him, after he had said he was Cyrus, that the boy wasn’t willing to leave until he was with them. The boy had remembered when Cyrus had said he would be back for him and wouldn’t leave until he was there with him. The medics had tried everything to get him to leave, but he wouldn’t.

That was really kinda impressive on the kids' part, but he did have super strength, so maybe that had been a part of it.

No matter what it was, he was here now. He had to get into the emergency vehicle with the boy and go back to Helt with him. The medics hadn’t liked it, but there was really nothing else they could. So, he was currently in the back with Juli and two other medics that he had never met before.

They were almost to where they were going, and the medics seemed to be at a loss of what to do. There wasn’t anything that could be done to further help him until they reached the facility with better equipment. So they just had to sit there and try to calm him down as much as they could.

For some reason, Juli only wanted to be near Cyrus. He only held his hand, he only talked to him, he only listened to him, and he had even wanted him to be the only one near his injury at first. Cyrus had eventually convinced him that the other medics needed to get to his leg, so he had to let him. Juli hadn’t liked that one bit, but since Cyrus had been the one to tell him that, he let them.

They reached Helt, finally, and the medics once again tried to push Cyrus aside to help Juli. They probably thought that now that they were there, he wouldn’t want the older guy there, but Juli had different ideas. The second it was evident that Cyrus wasn’t going to be with him anymore, he threw a fit.

He, once again, refused to cooperate or go where any of them wanted to go until he was at his side again. The medics, very frustratedly, pulled him towards the boy again, and he followed them into the building and the room where Juli would be treated. He made sure to keep at least one of his hands on him at all times, to keep him assured that he was there and not leaving.

The boy was quite obviously still in pain throughout the whole process and being told how to do things while he was recovering, and he hadn’t liked when he was told no superhero missions until it was fully healed. But Cyrus still stayed there the entire time and let him dig his nails into his palms. After the medics had left, making sure to tell Cyrus to let him rest, he still stayed in there with him just to make sure he didn’t have anymore freak outs when he left or when he woke up without him.

The boy had long fallen asleep, tired and exhausted from all the energy he had put into fighting the medics and the pain, but he still had a grip like steel on his hand. He resigned himself to his fate of having to stay there all night and laid his head on the bed, trying to get some semblance of rest.

He only realized then just how drained he was from the events of the night. He had been working non-stop since the second the attack started, and it had lasted from one am to late at night. Making it almost midnight right then. So he allowed his body to slowly unwind a bit with his mind.

Cyrus sighed as he closed his eyes and felt his body thank him as he allowed it to rest and relax in a way that he hadn’t in a while. It was actually really nice and he felt more at ease than he thought he ever had before.

That was until someone walked into the room. Cyrus fought the urge to huff when he heard the door open, probably a medic coming to check on Juli again. But he was surprised when he lifted his head to see someone shooting towards him. He barely registered that Holiday had sat next to him.

He wasn’t sure why she was there or how she had even gotten in, but he would find that out later. His sister had taken a page out of Juli’s book with the insistence game and refused to leave until she knew where her brother was as all she had known was that he was heading to Helt because she had seen him get into the emergency vehicle. But she wanted to see him, annoying everyone.

He just smiled as his sister said that she was so glad he was okay and he said the same. He asked about what she had done during the battle, and apparently, at one point, she had done a three hour long continuous news coverage of what was happening. He was super proud of her for that.

She offered that they could watch a bit of it together later, and he quickly accepted the offer, excited to see more of Holiday seriously doing her job. She also asked what he had done, but he knew she was asking if he had any injuries. He told her that he had been a medic the entire battle, and she laughed a bit at that because of their moms lessons for them growing up. He made sure she knew that he was perfectly fine and didn’t need her to bother a medic for him at all.

She also looked a bit oddly at the boy she was with, and he explained the whole situation and why he was still there with him. She had, once again, laughed at that but still seemed happy that Cyrus had ‘found a friend’. She did extensively tease him about it, but he noticed that she seemed to try and be a bit quieter after he told her that, probably so that Juli could actually sleep.

The two of them fell into a nice and comfortable silence after a little while, and both of them leaned back in their chairs, letting some of the stress on their shoulders sink off as it was over.

After a little while, though, Holiday brought up something that Cyrus hadn’t given much thought to. “So, are you ready to see the family again?” Holiday said it through small tears as she thought about her older brother finally coming home and staying there, something that she hadn’t thought possible for a long time.

Cyrus looked over at her in surprise as he hadn’t realized that he could see his family again now. He could see his family again now. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do with his life now that he didn’t work for Tempest. He had no proof of education or identity since he had been ‘dead’ for four years. He was hoping that he could get some type of job at Helt, and he was still holding out for that.

But at that very moment, it didn’t really matter to him where he was going with his life because he was gonna see his family again.

(Hope you like it! Family reunion coming soon!)