Chapter 8

Brynleigh Pasternack

Brynleigh pulled at the rope that restrained her to the chair in the small shed. She looked over at her partner next to her, also struggling to get out of the confines. She still remembered clearly as day how they had gotten into this situation.

She and Velocity had only fought a couple of people and scared the rest away. After that, they had nothing left to do for the next day before going back to Helt. So they decided to go explore the other cars on the train. When they came to one, they found two people sleeping. They thought they would just leave them. They looked peaceful. But apparently, one of them heard them, and the absolute psycho had started a fire with his hand!

But they didn’t stop there, and then he woke up his friend, and they kidnapped the two. So now they are tied with an itchy rope to uncomfortable chairs in an old shed near the train. She hadn’t even seen their faces. Now, they were whispering in a corner with their backs to them.

She wasn’t exactly sure what they were talking about, but it probably had something to do with what they were going to do with two captured heroes. Hasn’t this just been a really lovely time?

Finally, after forever, the two stood up and faced them. She didn’t know one of them, but the other one almost made her gasp. “Cyrus!?” He looked slightly frightened at the fact that she knew his name, but she didn’t care. She just wanted answers.

“You might wanna shut your mouth because you’re flammable rope, and I can set you on fire in two seconds flat.” The one that she didn’t recognize stated, he went behind her and tightened the rope to prove his point. “We’ll do the talking right now.” He added on for no reason in her mind.

“Um, moving past that, we have a deal to offer you.” Cyrus began talking. “Our boss, Tempest, gave us a week to bring two heroes back to him, dead or alive. So I think you can guess how great two heroes would be. But we have another idea. So you either work with us or go back to our boss.” Sinus straightened up and tried to be threatening, but he kinda just looked a bit ridiculous.

Brynleigh mulled over this offer. Would going back to probably be tortured and killed by a crazy villain suck? Yes. But would she still agree to the other idea these two had? That she was going to find out right now. “What’s your great idea?” She would’ve done quotations for the word great, but her hands were tied.

“We want to overthrow Tempest’s entire organization.” Brynleigh was so confused. Why would they want to overthrow their own boss’s organization.

“Why?” Brynleigh waited for their responses.

“He kidnapped me”

“Honestly it just sounds like fun.”

Brynleigh wasn’t sure how she felt about those answers, but what else was she supposed to do in this situation? Say no and get her and her partner painfully killed? Yeah, no. She looked over at Velocity to confirm, and when he nodded his head, she knew their decision. Hopefully, it's a good one.

“We’re in.”

“Wait really?” Cyrus seemed shocked at how easy it was to get them to comply. “Okay then, let's get to planning.”

Well, this was going to be fun.

❅❅❅

A plan had been devised, well, mostly devised. First, Velocity had insisted that they needed code names. Not just their hero and villain names, ones that no one knew them by. Velocity had made his code name ‘Honey’. Magnum, the guy she hadn’t known, wanted his name to be ‘John’. Actually, he wanted it to be ‘Fuego’ but they had all said that was too obvious. Brynleigh herself had brilliantly chosen ‘Girl’. She was put on the spot and couldn’t come up with anything better. Finally, for some reason, Cyrus had chosen his name to be ‘Ciencia’. John had looked slightly smug when he said that was what he wanted to be called, and she wondered why.