Chapter 10

Brynleigh Pasternack

Slam!

Brynleigh got back up after taking down her sparring partner for the seventh time. He wasn’t exactly a new guy, but not someone who had been with Helt for as long as she had. He had been there for about two years. He was five foot seven, and he was one hundred forty-eight pounds.

She found this way too easy, but still, she got ready for another round. That was until she was, once again, called out of her task by an employee. This had been happening a lot lately. It seemed that every time she was just starting to really get into doing something, someone would interrupt her.

It had been going on ever since she had gotten back from the mission with Badger a few days ago. She had known that she would be called in for an interview or two in order for them to try and figure out where the missing hero was. Brynleigh had stated all that she had practiced. It was a script that she had made with the rest of the people working with her on the plan, and it was quite a good one.

All she had to say was that everything had been going well and that they had taken down all of the people involved in the drug scheme, true. Where the lies came in was after that, where Brynleigh told them that both her and Velocity had been knocked out without seeing who did it. Then she woke up in the train car late the next day with no idea where her partner was. It wasn’t the most unbelievable thing ever. She had heard of instances similar to that happening before, though she wasn’t sure of the credibility behind those stories. Despite that, she had no doubt they would believe her.

She had been sure that they would’ve accepted her story and moved on with the investigation, which would only lead them down the wrong paths due to the fact clues that her and her friends, she meant partners, had planted. On the contrary, she had been called in for another questioning multiple times a day. Which could only mean one thing. They were onto them.

The blonde girl cautiously walked into the interrogation room for the third time that day. It was an hour past dinner time. There was a woman on one side of the table, and Brynleigh assumed that she would be asking the questions today. Every person who had asked her about the events of the day that Badger disappeared had been different. This woman had pin straight black hair and a warm, dark skin tone. She wore a high-end black and white business suit that was styled with various pieces of striking silver jewelry. The woman seemed to have an air of power and control that surrounded her. Brynleigh thought that she was the exact type of woman that she would’ve looked up to when she was younger.

The woman looked up at her when she sat down across from her. Neither of them smiled, but there was a mutual ground of understanding between them. The clock ticked in the corner as if waiting for one of them to say something, anticipating it.

“Good evening Miss…Brynleigh, is it?” Brynleigh pursed her lips as the woman had mispronounced her name. Saying it as ‘Bryn-leg’ instead of ‘Bryn-lee’ like it was supposed to be said, but she didn’t say anything. “Right, well, I am Dorinna Singh. I am sure you already know how this process is going to work, am I right?” Once again, Brynleigh just nodded at Dorinna and waited.

The time quickly ticked by after that as Dorinna asked her the same questions she had already been asked a million times, and she gave the same answers she had given a million times. It almost felt like deja vu.

“What time did you arrive at the train tracks?”

“In the morning, maybe around nine.”

“How long were you there with him?”

“At least a couple hours.”

“How many people did you fight, exactly?”