Chapter 20

(Just a warning, there are small mentions of blood. Nothing much, but it's there.)

Brynleigh Pasternack

Brynleigh punched the guy in front of her and slammed his head into a wall, taking satisfaction when he slowly slid to the floor. She quickly moved on to some other person who was near her.

She had been at this for, how long? She really wasn’t sure at that point. Everything had become a muddled mess of blood and violence in her mind, including time. As people swirled around her in a never-ending cycle where she just kept throwing her fists and receiving the same back.

She looked over her shoulder as someone went to hit her from behind, but she instead dodged and bent them over to push her knee into their chest. She threw them on the floor and continued to pummel them until they rolled over so that she was on the floor. She still hit them, but she also took a hard hit to her temple that she absolutely was sure was going to bruise really badly.

She pulled their neck to the ground before running off into a new fight. Continuing with everything that she had done before, putting all her force into each time she landed a punch or other force.

Brynleigh took a second to really look around at what was happening and assess the full situation. There still seemed to be at least one hundred different heroes still somewhat up and fighting or getting treated by various medics on this floor and probably a couple more on floors below them. Still, that was only an estimate. A good amount of Tempest’s people were either on the floor or had fled. Signaling to her that she should probably get started up to the next bit of the building.

Cyrus was just on the floor helping someone, but she still went over and tapped his shoulder, letting him know that they had to keep moving. He rushed to shove some pain meds and finish putting another bandage over the moderate wound on the person’s arm. After finishing up with that, he quickly followed her to the stairs and up to the next floor. Which was the seventy-seventh.

Seventy-seven out of eighty floors were covered by heroes, and she saw some watch them rush to the stairs and follow suit. She moved fast, even though she had to stop once to pull Cyrus off the ground when he tripped over a step. She held his hand the rest of the way up to make sure he didn’t fall again.

They approached the next battle and stepped into the room, both of them quick to run through the halls, doing what they could to help. Brynleigh always made sure to look around her every few minutes, if she could, to make sure her friend was still okay. When she was reassured that he was, and only when she was one hundred percent sure, she would move on to punch someone else.

At one point, she had gotten a fairly sized cut on her leg from some guy that had brought a kitchen knife into the battle. Luckily, he hadn’t been able to cut deep enough to cause any serious issues. After she dealt with him, Cyrus had come over to help her patch it up, or at least good enough for her to continue fighting. He had wanted her to stay down for a little while, but she was adamant that she didn’t do that. They were so close to being able to close all of this up. She was not going to let a small itty bitty little cut on her leg stop her from reaching the end of this attack successfully.

Cyrus had sighed at her insistence on continuing to fight. She did feel a bit bad for worrying him, but she still needed to finish the job she had come in there for. Though, she still nodded along when he told her to at least try not to irritate the injury and keep all the bandages on.

Brynleigh reassured him that she would be very careful for the remainder of the fight and that she would come to him immediately if she had any concerns whatsoever with the wound. She knew it wasn’t much, at the end of the day. But, she saw his shoulders relax a bit when she said that, so it was enough.