Doppelganger Chapter 8

I still remember bits and pieces of that night. Yet it was fading, like looking at the reflection of something through rippled water.

I remember the police putting handcuffs on me, and telling me to take them to the crime scene. Inside my house, they tried not to gag at the state I left the doppelganger in. It was then, under the harsh, artificial light, that I received the second biggest shock of my life, the first being the accident at my marriage.

For it I blame me being blinded by grief and love because he looked nothing like the two I loved.

He had green eyes, short cropped hair brunette hair and very dark, tattooed skin.

I felt my eyes water and I collapsed on to the floor, crying and yelling until I felt my vocal chords snap, and no more sound came out.

And the police dragged me away.

***

(A year later)

"Ruby?" a woman with an English accent knocked on the door of my cell. I tore my eyes from Sasuke's cocky ones and Naruto's embarrassed ones and leapt across the room to open the door.

"Hey darling, here's your lunch!" a plump, western woman with silver-blond hair pushed waddled into the room and placed the tray on the table. She stroked my hair as I eyed the lunch with excitement. Behind me, I could hear Naruto and Sasuke snickering and laughing about who-knows-what.

"Are your friends bothering you?" she asked kindly, as Naruto made a fart noise. Sasuke had to cover his mouth from any sound escaping. I held my lips together to prevent anything noise from escaping my lips, shook my head, and typed on the device

No, I'm fine :)

She sighed and looked at me with gentle eyes.

"I'll leave you be, then," she smiled and walked out the cell, closing the door gently. As soon as she left, Sasuke burst out laughing, along with Naruto's hyena laugh. It was so loud I was sure that the people in the rooms next to me could hear it.

"Oh my god Naruto," I giggled, fingers absently twirling a strand of grey hair. Naruto's eyes glinted, and he smirked.

"You liked it," he teased, flickering his head back. I grinned and called for a hug. He happily obliged.

"Usuratonkachi," Sasuke sighed, yet still joined in when I waved him over.

"Usually people are grateful for their car brand, their house size, the amount of wealth they own," I drew back, examining their faces, trying to memorise everything that I will ever call Naruto or Sasuke, "but I'm grateful for you two."

"Until the end of time," Sasuke held out a hand, and I accepted it. He and Naruto pulled me out of the hallway, where we danced.

I know that when someone else looks my way, they only see me dancing, twirling like a leaf in the wind.

But in my eyes, they will always be there next to me.

Until the end of time.

End.