Bonus Chapter 5: Jake's POV

The 4:00 AM wake up call came too damn early.

I rolled over in bed, just far enough to kill the alarm. After my first day on the job you would have thought I'd slept like a baby, but I tossed and turned most of the night, finally falling into a dreamless slumber after two. At least, that was the last time I looked at my phone. There were too many things racing through my mind, and for a change, none of it had to do with things going on back home.

Addison Monroe was a treat I hadn't been expecting, and getting to spend some time with her only left me wanting more.

But first, I had to get through work.

Forcing myself to a standing position, I folded my arms over my head and gave into a good stretch. I can't even remember the last time I slept in a single bed, and every muscle in my body reminded me I wasn't the same size as I used to be.

With heavy-lidded eyes, I tiptoed down the hall using the flashlight on my cell, trying my best not to wake Uncle John and Aunt Kathy. It was kind of nice having the place to myself, with the exception of delicate snores coming from behind the bedroom door next to mine. I wanted to take this time to mentally prepare for the day ahead. Anxiety clenched my stomach every time I envisioned myself working on Henry Monroe's enormous farm, and the last thing I wanted to do was let anyone down. They'd been nice enough to give me a job in the first place, knowing I didn't exactly meet the qualifications.

I was told to be on site bright and early and not to worry about eating breakfast before I left the house, Maggie Monroe would take care of everything.

Probably just a granola bar and an apple stuffed into a brown paper bag; barely enough fuel to get a guy through a grueling morning. Because why would a farmer's wife give two shits about feeding a bunch of sweaty farm hands anyway? After all, they were paying us to work, not consume calories. But then, yesterday's lunch shocked the hell out of me—veggie egg salad sandwiches, which were absolutely delicious. Who knew what other surprises Mrs. Monroe had up her sleeve.

In record time, I showered, threw on work clothes, and grabbed my hat from the dresser, sliding it into place as I closed the front door behind me. As I backed out of the driveway and started down the silent stretch of road, orange and purple clouds twisted like ropes across the horizon. The entire town was still snuggled under the covers except for me.

They told me not to eat breakfast, but the one thing I wasn't about to go without was coffee. Because no one in their right mind started the day without caffeine. And finding the closest gas station was first on my list of things to do.

"Hey, there," the blonde behind the counter said as soon as I stepped inside the tiny shop. Vanilla-scented pastries and freshly brewed beans wafted in the air around me. "You're not from around here, are you?"

I gave her a polite smile. "No, ma'am. I'm not."

Her red-painted lips tugged up at the corner. "Didn't think so. No way a guy like you would go unnoticed around Lakeside. You just passin' through, cowboy?"

"Actually, I'm here for the summer. I'm working at the Monroe family farm."

"Oh, yeah," she said slowly. "Henry and Maggie's place."

I gave her a nod. "That would be the one."

"Good to know." Her green eyes raked over my white T-shirted torso as I poured myself a cup of dark roast and met her back at the register. She smiled again and handed me my change. "Don't be a stranger now, ya here?"

I tipped my hat in her direction and lifted the Styrofoam cup to my lips, allowing the bittersweet steam to tickle my nose. When I pushed open the door, humidity hung heavy in the faint breeze. That could only mean one thing—we were in for another hot day.