Chapter 13

Ch. 13

"Are you ready?" Jake asked as he took my hand, leading me down the steps and into the pool. I gasped when the cool water hit my midsection and hoped Jake wouldn't try to pull me into the deep end.

He sunk into the water, executing a perfect dive from inside of the pool. I watched in grateful awe as firm muscles moved smoothly underneath flawless skin. I could not get over how beautiful he was, and he was with me! The very idea was laughable.

"Do you plan on getting wet?" Jake teased when he brought his head up from under water, his dark hair smoothed back, away from his face.

"I am wet," I responded defensively, acutely aware of everyone watching us.

He gave a little laugh and reached for my hands. "What are you doing?" I asked, trying to keep the panic from my voice.

"Bringing you in deeper."

"Deeper? I don't think I want to go in any deeper." I knew this was going to happen, I silently cursed myself for being afraid.

"Come on, Addison. Don't you trust me?" He grinned, showing off that ridiculously sexy dimple of his.

Reluctantly, I nodded my head and sighed. Jake quietly chuckled and walked up to me, so close I could feel the heat radiating from his body. "I have an idea," he said huskily, and gently grabbed my hands again.

"Wait! Now what are you doing?"

"Relax. Hold onto my shoulders." Jake placed my hands around his neck. Then very slowly, he let his hands slide down my arms. I hoped he wouldn't notice the goose bumps that covered my skin in his wake. He turned away from me and sunk deeper into the water.

I let out a little yelp as the cool water covered my bare shoulders, but couldn't complain about the close proximity to Jake. It felt like an electric current was traveling between our bodies and I was certain my face was on fire. Could he feel it, too? As much as I enjoyed staring at his perfect features, in that moment I was so thankful he was not facing me. Jake slowly made his way out toward the deep end of the pool, ignoring my quiet protests along the way.

"It'll be better out there, I promise." He glanced back at me with smoldering eyes.

I held onto Jake tightly and let him take me to the far end, away from the traffic of the party. Alone in the corner, he turned around and placed his hands on my waist. We waded in the deep water, staring at one another silently.

"See," he said finally. "This isn't so bad."

A nervous giggle escaped from my lips as I struggled to relax.

"I love the sound of your laugh," he said suddenly. His gaze locked with mine.

Abruptly I stopped giggling and my stomach began it's familiar roller-coaster of flip flops. Jake moved in a little closer and I backed up against the side of the pool. It felt safer along the edge, knowing there was a small ledge I could rest my feet on if I needed to. Jake looked at me intensely, his sapphire eyes heavy as they bore into mine.

"Your eyes are a very unique color, Addison, more gray than blue. They're really beautiful," he said, then softly added, "You're beautiful." Gently, he raised his hand to my face and brushed some hair behind my ear. His touch was gentle, more gentle than I'd expected, and I felt it in every inch of my body. I was certain my heart would explode in my chest, but forced myself to be brave.

Make your move!

My breath quickened as I boldly wrapped my legs around his waist. Jake looked at me with pleasant surprise and a lazy smile played at the corner of his mouth.

"You have no idea what you do to me," he said softly. "Do you?"

I wasn't sure how to respond. He couldn't be serious. I wondered desperately if this was the line he used with all the girls he dated, or if there was a possibility he meant what he said. But how could someone like me possibly have an effect on someone like Jake? There were years and most likely a huge amount of experience, or inexperience in my case, between us. There really was no way for me to know for certain, so all I could do was trust my instincts. I stared at his mouth as my body filled with a strange, new sensation. I had never before experienced such a feeling of...need. My gaze met his and passion swamped me.

Slowly, he leaned in closer and brushed his lips against mine. I released a small moan as our kiss deepened.  My fingers tangled eagerly in the back of Jake's dark hair and I could feel his body pressing into mine, pinning me against his weight. Suddenly, he pulled back and I worried the kiss would end, but instead he whispered, "Addison." Our lips met once again, and this time his warm tongue gently probed it's way inside.

My insides turned to mush as I lost myself in the most amazing kiss I had ever experienced...up until that point anyway. Jake moved both of his hands up to the sides of my face, and it felt sweet and erotic all rolled up into one electrifying gesture. I didn't know what to do with my hands, so I laid them on his tanned chest. As much as I wanted to explore Jake's body, I forbid myself from doing so, not wanting to send out mixed signals. Even though my body protested, I didn't want him to think he was going to do anything more than kiss me.

His hands found my hips and he pulled me closer to him. I gasped, suddenly afraid, and quickly moved away. Jake's confused eyes peered into mine. "Are you alright?" he asked softly.

"Yes, I'm um--I'm okay. It's just that... This is moving along quicker than I had anticipated." Jake looked away and I worried I had ruined the moment. Not that I would have given into anything I wasn't ready for, but the kiss had been so magical I hated to see it end.

Looking back at me with gentle eyes, he apologized. "I'm sorry, Addison. I really don't want you to feel pressured. It's just--you do things to me..." His voice trailed off into a flustered chuckle and I prayed he would finished his sentence. But he didn't, he left me hanging.

"I'm sorry, Jake. I was enjoying the kiss too much. I just don't want you to think I'm that kind of girl..." I broke off, embarrassed.

Shaking his head, he responded firmly, "Addison, you have nothing to apologize for. This is my fault. I need to learn to control myself better around you."

Control himself? Around me? I repeated in my head, incredulously. I just could not get over the fact that drop-dead-gorgeous Jake would even be attracted to innocent, eighteen-year-old me. I stared at him dumbfounded as he planted a small kiss on the tip of my nose and then released my hips.

A mischievous smile suddenly highlighted his face. "Are you up for some basketball? I saw a hoop at the shallow end of the pool," he suggested, indicating the water hoop set up in the corner. A game appeared to be just starting.

Sure," I answered with a small smile. Jake brought my arms up around his neck and turned away from me, leading us toward the game. I couldn't help but smile behind his back. Even though I was nervous in the water I knew how to swim, but wasn't about to let on.

I was enjoying the adjacency way too much.

Thank you for reading Strawberry Wine! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote/comment.