Chapter 6

Ch. 6

The afternoon flew by and before I knew it my cell phone read 5:45 pm. "Oh my God!" I exclaimed. "Look at the time!"

"I didn't realize you had a curfew," Ruby teased.

I playfully nudged her shoulder with mine. "I don't. I was just hoping to get back before Jake left at six."

"We're never going to make it back by then, Addy," she reasoned. "Let's just enjoy ourselves."

I realized she was right, and slumped my shoulders in defeat.

"I'm starving," Ruby announced, looking at her watch. "We could grab a bite to eat?"

I shrugged gloomily, and let her steer me toward the Sandlecastle Cafe, a popular diner overlooking the lake. I wasn't very hungry but I tried to make good company anyway, even though it was difficult. I really had my heart set on seeing Jake, and had secretly hoped he would want to hang out again after work.

"Don't worry," Ruby soothed, reading my mind. "You'll see him again tomorrow, and every day for the rest of the summer," she reminded me, her hand settled reassuringly on my arm.

Of course I knew it was true, I just couldn't help the mounting disappoint I felt. "You're right," I agreed with a nod, and tried to change the subject. "You know, I really do love your new swim suit."

"I know, it's so cute!" she enthused, successfully distracted. "Do you think Tommy will like it? He invited me to the beach with him this weekend."

I threw her a wry smirk. "I think every guy on the beach is going to like it."

Ruby dissolved into a fit of giggles."Well, I hope they don't like it too much. I would hate for Tommy to get jealous! On second thought..." she added slyly, tapping her manicured nails against the table-top, "Maybe it would do him good--remind him of what a catch I am."

My best friend fell in love every other week, and this time she had set her sights on Tommy Mathews. He wasn't like the typical smooth-talking, football-playing studs she'd normally preferred. He was a really great guy, very quiet and down-to-earth, and not too shabby to look at either.

We talked about our upcoming plans for the weekend as we paid the bill and prepared to leave. The sun was already setting on the horizon as we made our way out of the small diner and down the darkened street toward Ruby's car. A smattering of tourists littered the downtown area, wandering through shops and taking pictures and I looked around appreciatively, relishing the lake breeze. I always did love summertime in Lakeside. We were so busy with our carefree chatter that I didn't even notice him until he was right on top of us.

Brett...

Fear gripped my chest as I was thrown back two months... Prom night. I stopped short before he could purposely bump into me, but it was too late. Brett's shoulder collided roughly against mine.

"Hey, watch where you're going there, little girl?" he buffooned.

Ruby and I exchanged a nervous glance and attempted to walk around Brett and his friends.

"Where ya goin'?" he called after us. "You're not leaving on our account, are you?" I heard him laugh callously behind us.

We quickened our pace and didn't look back. I could just make out Ruby's white convertible in the distance and tried to stay focused on our destination, hoping Brett would lose interest. I was not so lucky. I felt a hand creep up behind me and pull at my hair. "Leave us alone, Brett," I responded, trying to sound braver than I felt.

"I have a bone to pick with you, Monroe." Brett stepped in front of us and called me by my last name.

"You're such an ass!" Ruby exclaimed, trying to push past him. "What's your problem, anyway? You're such a jerk these days."

"Wait a minute, Ruby, this doesn't concern you. Why don't you take off? I'll make sure Addy gets home safely," he offered with a wink. His friends hovered hesitantly in the background.

A shallow breath caught in my throat and my heart started to beat so fast it felt like it was going to burst. I shot Ruby a worried glance and saw that she was nervous, too.

"I'm not leaving Addy," Ruby responded venomously. She grabbed my elbow and tried to hurry me along, but Brett was having none of it.

"I don't think you're going anywhere." He stepped in front of us again.

My nose burned from the offensive smell of alcohol on his breath and against my better judgment I spoke up. "You smell like your parent's liquor cabinet."

Suddenly, I felt myself being pushed against a wall, my body pinned tightly to Brett's. One arm held me in place while his opposite hand traveled slowly up my mid-section and underneath my thin shirt. A strangled noise escaped from my mouth, but I was determined to look him in the eye and not cower. "What do you want?" I asked, my voice betraying the brave act I was trying to retain.

"You know what I want, Addy," he hissed quietly, his hot breath inches away from my face. "It's what I've wanted ever since you left me stranded at prom."

"Don't do this," I pleaded, but my words were somehow lost between us. Trapped under his weight, I turned my head and squeezed my eyes shut as he lowered his hot lips to my neck, disgust rising in the back of my throat. Panic raced through my body as I realized what he meant. I was unable to move, just like on prom night when he'd had me pinned against the wall of the deserted coat room, his hands violating me, ripping the strap of my beautiful dress. I had told him "no" then, too. But just like now, he refused to listen. My muscles locked as a feeling of dread took over. I forgot where I was or that there was a crowd surrounding us. I felt alone, just like before. It was prom night all over again.

Please, no...

Just then, I felt a cool rush of air and was suddenly free from Brett's ominous grip. It took me a moment to comprehend what was happening. Had one of Brett's friend's seen enough and decided to intervene?

With shaky legs, I stepped away as two bodies struggled violently along the sidewalk. Ruby was at my side immediately, securing a protective arm around my waist. I strained my eyes under the dimly lit street lamp post to get a better look at my rescuer. It wasn't until Brett stilled under the weight of his assailant that I finally recognized the other male.

Jake.

Thank you for reading Strawberry Wine! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote/comment. :)