Chapter 9

Ch. 9

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of my cell beeping repeatedly, alerting me to several new text messages. What the heck? I wondered crankily, and reached for my phone.

"Well??? What the hell happened last night?!"  the message screamed back at me.

"Ruby," I seethed under my breath. Doesn't she know what time it is?

Sleepily, my eyes wandered over to the clock at the side of my bed.

10 o'clock! Oh my God--I missed breakfast! 

Jake would already be hard at work and I had missed my one opportunity to see him before he started. "Maybe that's for the best,"  I proposed out loud in my best big girl voice. "I need to play it cool."

"My night was amazing; it was incredible; it went better than I ever expected!" I texted back, my finger positioned on the answer button, waiting for the phone to ring. Ruby did not not disappoint.

Ring! Ring!

"Hello, Ruby," I greeted, smiling into the phone.

She bombarded me with an onslaught of questions. "Oh. My. God! What happened, Addy? Did you guys go out?  Is Jake going to kick Brett's ass? Did you kiss him?"

"Nothing much. Yes. No, but I think he wants to. And yes, definitely, but it was the other way around."

"He kissed you? Holy shit! Was it amazing? Tell me everything!" she shrieked in a voice that reminded me of a mouse with it's tail caught between the sharp teeth of a hungry feline.

Laughing at her excitement, I answered, "Ruby--it was amazing! He is amazing!" I blushed with pleasure as I thought of my night with Jake. "I think I'm in love."

"Oh, Addy, it's not love--it's way too soon for that. Believe me, I know. Infatuation, maybe. Or lust."

It felt like all three, but reluctantly I had to agree with her. It couldn't possibly be love.

"Have you spoken with him today?"

I stretched in bed and shook my head, my hair tumbling around me in tangled waves. "No, I overslept. He's already working. Maybe it's for the best, you know?" I shrugged. "I don't want to seem overeager."

"Overeager? By a phone call?" Ruby dramatically exclaimed. "You need to mark your territory, Addy. Jake is way too cute to stay single for long in this small town. And you know hospitality runs rampant in the South..." Her voice trailed of triumphantly, proud of her of wise observation.

I felt an uncomfortable prickle crawl up my skin as I contemplated Ruby's reasoning. It's true, Jake was unbelievably attractive, and southern girls could be particularly...friendly. But he was not in Lakeside looking for love. He was here to work. Or at least that's what I kept telling myself.

"I don't know, Ruby..."

"At least text him! Tell him to have a good day or something. Or tell him you had fun last night! You're a resourceful girl, Addy--think of something! But don't not talk to him. You'd be digging your own grave!" she emphasized.

Ruby was making some good points, but I was still unsure. I didn't want Jake to believe I was some silly, immature high school girl. I wanted him to think I was a mature woman who knew how to handle herself--even if it was just an act on my part. I chewed on my lower lip, trying to decide what to do next.

"I know!" Ruby blurted out, suddenly. "Invite him to the Friday Night Bonfire at my house tonight!" she exclaimed, using the title we had given her weekly summer ritual.