Meeting Huey

One afternoon as Alexis is sitting on a bench waiting for her aunt to pick her up she soon notices a boy with an afro looking at her.

"Um hi." Alexis says as she looks at the boy.

"You're the new girl at school right?" The boy asks bluntly.

"Yes why?" Alexis asks curiously.

"My name is Huey Freeman. I just thought I would welcome you to Woodcrest." The boy says politely.

"Nice to meet you Huey. I'm Alexis Hathaway. My aunt Kate Valencia and I just moved here." Alexis says.

"I take it Hathaway was your mother's married name?" Huey asks as Alexis looks at him.

"Why do you ask?" Alexis asks.

"Curious." Huey says.

"Okay then..." Alexis thinks to herself.

"Anyways why are you by yourself? School has already been out for two hours." Huey says.

"Yeah well my aunt is running a little late on picking me up. So I ended up being stuck waiting longer then expected." Alexis says.

"Wanna wait at my house?" Huey asks causing Alexis to look at him.

"Huh?" Alexis asks giving a slightly shocked expression.

"Do you want to wait at my house for your aunt? Granddad won't mind." Huey says bluntly as he stares at Alexis.

"No no. I heard you the first time. I'm just curious as to why your offering." Alexis says.

"I'm just offering to be nice. You seem like a decent person and the streets can be dangerous at times. Just figured you'd like a safer place to wait." Huey says as Alexis gives him a slight smile.

"Oh thank you. That sounds lovely. Just let me message my aunt." Alexis says before she stands up from the bench as she texts her aunt before soon receiving an okay from her.

"Just don't expect it all the time." Huey says as Alexis looks at him.

"Not a problem. My aunt is usually never late. Just having problems with the car is all but still thank you." Alexis says kindly as she begins to walk with Huey.

"You're welcome. So you guys live alone?" Huey asks.

"Yes. My aunt never married so it's just us. I honestly don't mind. It's not easy for me to make friends so it's nothing out of normal for me to be by myself apart from having my dog Kida with me when I am able." Alexis says.

"I can relate but most people just don't agree with my opinions." Huey says.

"Well you have a friend now." Alexis says kindly.

"What?" Huey asks as he looks at Alexis causing her to smile kindly at him.

"You were kind to me. I don't meet a lot who are that way and I'm always kind back. I don't care if our opinions may differ but as long as we at least respect each other as people that's all I care about." Alexis says kindly.

"You really are different from other people around here." Huey says a little shocked.

"Just gotta meet the right people." Alexis says.

"Alright then.. You wanna be friends then that's fine but just remember you may not like it." Huey says bluntly.

"I guess we'll see." Alexis says as she smiles politely at boy.

"I guess so." Huey says as he looks forward.

"You're a strange one Huey Freeman but I like it. Maybe this will be the place my aunt and I can finally be accepted or at least have some actual friends to call part of the pack." Alexis thinks to herself as she continues walking with the boy.