Four

"Pinocchio, Geppetto. What happened?" Jiminy could intuitively tell that something was wrong. "Just a little incident in town that's all." Pinocchio crossed his arms. "Well, you shouldn't lie to Jiminy, father." Pinocchio turned to Jiminy, picking the tiny cricket up. "Lorenzo was bothering him again." "Oh, is that so." Pinocchio nodded. "Geppetto, you may need to think cleverly about this. I know you don't want Pinocchio's parents to help but they seem far better off right now. They could help. You helped them after all." "I don't need their help, Jiminy. What I need is a break." Jiminy stepped a little closer. "We can't all have what we want, Geppetto."

Geppetto turned away, and slammed the bouquet angrily on the counter, causing a couple of petals to fall. "If only I didn't make that forsaken promise, to Elio." "Father, you wanted to keep the shop open. Even if Elio was still alive he would want you to make the right choice." "I want to be alone right now Pinocchio. Go away." Pinocchio sadly nodded, feeling a tear drop down his cheek. Jiminy's face grew hot. "Let's go Pinocchio." Jiminy whispered, soothingly.

He sat on his bed and sighed, "Do you think my father will figure this out, Jiminy?" Jiminy sat down beside him. "Do I? I think in time he will, don't worry Pinocchio, people have bad days. Heck even crickets do. If you think you can escape life without having them then you're sadly mistaken." Pinocchio wiped his tear. "You think so?" Jiminy scouted a little closer. "I don't know Jiminy, he seemed pretty mad." "He wasn't mad at you, so just get that out of your head. He's angry at Lorenzo." Pinocchio sighed. "I tried to stand up for him at the market today, and I think I only make things worse." "No, Pinocchio. You did the right thing. Don't beat yourself up about that." "But it made him angry, I promised father I'd be a good son to him, and I'm failing at that." Jiminy hated whenever Pinocchio felt sad or upset; it just didn't seem like the kid to be this way.

Jiminy did noticed that it was steadily getting later. "How about this, we'll talk more about it in the morning. It's getting late, don't be up all-night thinking about this." Jiminy switched off the lamp. Pinocchio laid down, but he didn't feel like sleeping. Jiminy sighed, as he did his best to tuck in Pinocchio, but Pinocchio grabbed the rest of the blanket and turned over. He saw Geppetto enter the doorway. "Is he sleeping?" Geppetto asked Jiminy in a soft voice. "He is. At least, he's trying." Geppetto came into the room and sat down on the bed. "I just, I shouldn't have yelled at him like that." Pinocchio closed his eyes tighter. The truth was he didn't want his father to know he was awake. Geppetto tucked Pinocchio in properly. Better than what Jiminy could. He smoothed his son's hair and kissed his forehead. "Everything will be alright, son." Jiminy smiled, "Good night, Geppetto. I'll look after him, as always." Jiminy promised. "Good night, Jiminy. Thank you for everything." Jiminy rested himself, feeling quite drowsy. Although, he didn't really want to sleep, sleep found him.