↣ 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟸 - 1 and 1/2 Confessions ↢

Eugene and I reached an area that had some decent looking wood, good enough for a fire. He let my hand go and started looking around. I was going to start the conversation while I was looking too, but he beat me to it.

E: "Ok, enough of the stories and the songs. What's the plan?"

Y: "Plan for what?"

E: "The plan after we take Rapunzel to see the lights. Because, let's face it, she doesn't know what she's doing after it either. Her mother is a wack job, she doesn't want to go back to her tower, and we are on the run. We can't just take her with us. What are we going to do with her?"

    I hadn't even thought about that, separating from Rapunzel. The past day has been the most fun, joyful day of my life. The morning started with a royal robbing and the night ended with Eugene and I telling our secretive and sorrowful childhood to a girl that we just met.

Y: "I don't even want to think about that yet. Let's just figure it out when the time comes."

E: "Fair enough. Now, what was with the song in the pub?"

Y: "What? You didn't like my singing?"

E: "Don't make joke with me, right now. I mean what was with you singing about how you're in love with a guy?"

Y: "I think you're hearing things."

E: "Stop it! I would like an actual answer."

    I knew this question would come about eventually. I hadn't actually thought about how I would answer it, since I hadn't been given the time to. I kind of had to run away from guards and the Stabbington brothers, nearly drowned, and then tell my life story to a girl that's been making me realize my feelings towards Eugene. You know, everyday things, the works.

Y: "Well, I mean... I sang what I feel. I think I'm in love with someone."

E: "Oh... Who's the guy?"

Y: "I don't wanna say just yet. Like I said, I think. I want to be sure I'm right with how I feel."

E: "Ok. But, this guy won't take you away from me right?"

Y: "No, never. Eugene, nothing could take me away from you. You're the one person I could never be away from."

    He smiled at me as he gathered all the wood he got in his hands. I took this as a sign to gather all of mine as well. We started walking back, but for some reason, I feel like this distanced us a little. I couldn't understand why, but I felt like we are on two sides of the same coin. Two sides of a page. We are close to understanding each other completely, but there is something that's holding us off.

Y: "Well, what about you? Have you found a girl?"

E: "I think I have. And I think she's walking right beside me like she has been all this time. Like I want her to be until the end of time."

    I dropped my wood and stopped in complete shock. This was what was missing. I finally understand what was off. I never knew how he felt. I never understood what he was feeling half the time towards me. He confused me with his more-than-friendly caresses, but two seconds later call me his best friend. And now I know, and now we are finally on the same page and on the same side of the coin.

    He turned back around and smiled at me, lovingly. It was a soft smile I've seen from him a bunch of times. But, now I've come to realize that it was in the romantic context. Not in the best friend context. Exactly the way I wanted.

Y: "Eugene... I-"

    A loud yell that sounded something like "Mother! Wait!" cut me off. I look at Eugene in fear and he looks at me with the exact same look. I knew we were thinking the exact same thing.

Y and E: "Rapunzel..."

    I quickly pick up my wood, and we bolt back to the campfire. We yell out to Rapunzel as we rush to her.

E: "Rapunzel!"

Y: "Blondie, are you ok?!"

E: "We're coming, Blondie!"

    When we get there, we see her standing next to the campfire, and she looks like a statue of just golden hair. She was staring off into the woods, almost like she was looking for something.

Y: "Blondie? Are you ok?"

    She breaks out of her trance and turns around to face us. I looked around and saw no one. I figured she just heard a twig snap or saw an animal. She did live in a tower for years with no view of anything, so this distracting curiousity shouldn't be new to us.

R: "Oh! Sorry, yes! Just um... lost in thought I guess."

    Eugene shrugged at her, believing the story. He grabbed the wood from me to add to the current fire. As he was, I stared at Rapunzel and raised an eyebrow at her, silently questioning her story. She shrugged at me and acted like she didn't know what I was talking about. I squinted at her for a moment before shrugging and letting her off the hook.

    However, I still held onto my suspicions. Even though, she said she was lost in thought, which is completely plausible, she was nervous. I didn't like how she was nervous. Throughout the day, she had a child-like wonder and happiness that affected everyone, even the ruffians in the pub. This nervousness was something to note. But, I figured I would let it rest for now and to not taint the tranquility of the night.

E: "Can I ask you something, Blondie? Is there any chance that I'm gonna get super strength in my hand? Because I'm not gonna lie, that would be stupendous."

Y: "Doubt it."

E: "Let me have hope, I mean because here's the thing, super human good looks, I've always had 'em. Born with it. But, super human strength, can you imagine the possibilities of this...?!"

    You roll your eyes as you help him set the fire. Rapunzel chuckles and sits down as she watches the interaction.

Y: "Why do you need it? Cause your weak?"

    Eugene looks over at me, puts a hand on his chest and gasps, pretending to be hurt.

E: "How dare you! You should know by now that I am as strong as Hercules."

Y: "Yeah, before he started working out."

1095 words