Prologue

"To me, ThunderClan!"

Tigerclaw turned around to face the mangy cats that he had led to the defenceless camp. For moons now, he had been speaking with the rogue cats, gaining their trust and convincing them to help him to get what he really deserved. The role of leader.  

Tigerclaw had worked hard to make sure that the camp would be practically empty, the only cats being left were elders and queens, as well as ThunderClan's precious leader, Bluestar. 

Tigerclaw hissed at the rogues, swiping at them with sheathed claws. After all, why think of a cunning plan just to ruin it by obviously showing he was fighting on the rogues' side?

Their eyes alight with battle, the rogues charged forward and leaped on the Clan cats. Nearby, Tigerclaw could see Goldenflower wrestling with a tabby tom while Patchpelt and Halftail worked together to drive away a tortoiseshell. 

He saw a bright ginger pelt flash in the corner of his eyes and turned to see Fireheart bursting through the gorse tunnel and leaping into the fray. He dug his long claws into the ground. What was he doing here? He was supposed to be out with his kittypet apprentice.

No matter, Tigerclaw thought, one puny kittypet won't make a difference.

Scanning the clearing, Tigerclaw quickly realised that Bluestar had not yet come out of her den to help her Clan fight. Perfect! He would strike now, and she wouldn't see it coming. Tigerclaw edged his way around the clearing, dodging screeching cats rolling around the clearing and he made it to Bluestar's den.

He quickly panted, to sound as though he was out of breath, and burst in through the lichen, nearly bumping into Bluestar.  Her blue eyes were wide with shock. 

"Tigerclaw, what's happening out there?" She meowed urgently. Tigerclaw watched her flinch as a loud shriek of pain sounded out.

Weak! Tigerclaw wanted to spit, but he held his tongue and kept the act up. "Rogue cats are attacking our camp," He panted, bowing his head in fake exhaustion. "We are heavily outnumbered." He looked up again, his eyes gleaming. "Bluestar, I need to tell you something important."

"We can worry about that later, Tigerclaw. The Clan needs us now." Bluestar began marching towards the entrance, a slight annoyance in her gaze.

Frustrated, Tigerclaw ran up and blocked her, growling threateningly. Bluestar's eyes filled with shock as he began to force her back into the back of her den. 

"Tigerclaw?" Bluestar stared at him in surprise as he continued to stalk towards her. "What are you doing?"

"Remember me to StarClan, Bluestar." He snarled. 

This was the moment, the only chance he'd get. He could not mess it up. He unsheathed his long claws, imagining them sinking into Bluestar's thin fur. As he showed his fangs, Bluestar's shock was replaced with anger.

Bluestar flattened her ears. "Tigerclaw, what is this?" Bluestar's meow was sharper now, edged with anger, not fear. "I'm the leader of your Clan, or have you forgotten that?"

Tigerclaw stalked closer still, feeling satisfaction spread through his body as Bluestar hit the back of the den. She was trapped.

"Not for much longer," he growled. "I'm going to kill you, and kill you again. As many times as it takes for you to join StarClan forever. It's time for me to lead this Clan!"

Bluestar opened her mouth to protest, but Tigerclaw didn't give her a chance. He leaped at her, catching her with a blow on the side of her head and knocking her to the ground. Bluestar hit the ground with a thud, and Tigerclaw immediately leaped on top of her, sinking his fangs into her throat.

Bluestar shrieked desperately, struggling beneath his broad body and slashing at his shoulders in any attempt to free herself. Her claws stung slightly, but that only made Tigerclaw bite her throat harder. He tasted warm blood gushing in his mouth but still he didn't stop. Eventually, Bluestar's flailing paws stopped attacking his shoulders and her body began jerking violently. Only then did Tigerclaw release his grip.

Bluestar began to go into a series of spasms, blood spilling out of her throat like a crimson river. Her ice blue eyes were staring up at him in shock as blood bubbled around her mouth. 

Tigerclaw sneered. What a stupid cat. Trusting him when Fireheart had obviously tried to warn Bluestar millions of times.

He leaned down to her ear and whispered, "I can't wait to kill you again when you come back."

Bluestar opened her mouth, gagging as she tried to speak through the pool of blood in her mouth. Eventually, her eyes clouded over and became dull. Her limbs stopped twitching and she lay there motionless, dead.

Tigerclaw stood over her body, waiting for Bluestar to return from losing a life so he could kill her all over again. Time passed, and the blue-grey cat still lay on the floor, no sign of returning.

Tigerclaw's eyes widened. Had this been Bluestar's last life? Had he gotten rid of her for good? Satisfaction swelled Tigerclaw's body from his claws to his ear tips.

He had done it. Bluestar was dead.