Chapter 13

"Let all cats old enough to hunt for their own prey gather here beneath the Highrock for a Clan Meeting!"

Tigerstar's call echoed across camp as cats began to emerge from their dens, blinking the sleep out of their eyes.

Darkstripe looked wearily at the moon. "Tigerstar, it's the middle of the night," he complained, his fur sticking out. "What are we doing out here?"

Tigerstar's amber eyes gleamed and he sharped his long claws in excitement, his tail swishing. "We attack RiverClan tonight!"

Yowls and cheers rose from the ThunderClan cats and the deputy's gaze lit up. "Finally!" He hissed, sinking his claws into the ground.

He raised his tail for silence. "But first," he continued as the cats quietened down, "I have something to do." Tigerstar searched the crowd of cats, searching for a familiar cat. "Swiftpaw!"

The black-and-white apprentice's eyes widened as he looked up at his leader. "Yes?" He meowed nervously.

"Come forward!" Tigerstar leaped down from the Highrock, beckoning with his tail. "You first warrior battle will be tonight."

Immediately, Swiftpaw's eyes brightened in understanding. He gave his fur a quick lick before walking to his leader, his chest fur puffed up with pride. He glanced at Longtail; his mentor's blue eyes were filled with emotion.

Tigerstar cleared his throat and began speaking. "Swiftpaw, Longtail has told how well you fought in the battle against RiverClan, and I have seen myself how well you have fought against infection. This will make you a formidable warrior."

Swiftpaw blinked happily as he started the words of the ritual. "I, Tigerstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. He has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend him to you as a warrior in his turn."

Tigerstar remembered the young kit's apprenticeship; how small and scared he had been. Longtail had done a good job with this young cat.

"Swiftpaw," he continued, "do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

The apprentice took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment before opening them again; confidence burning in his yellow eyes like fire. "I do," he meowed loudly, raising his chin.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name," Tigerstar went on, thinking thoughtfully. "Swiftpaw, from this moment you will be known as Swiftshadow. StarClan honors your swiftness and your courage, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

Tigerstar bent down and rested his muzzle on the new warrior's head. Swiftshadow flinched away from him for a moment before leaning forward and respectfully licking his leader's broad shoulder.

The Clan erupted into cheers and began chanting his name. "Swiftshadow! Swiftshadow!"

Longtail padded forward and pressed his muzzle against Swiftshadow's. "I guess you don't need me anymore," the pale tabby meowed, his mew muffled by the new warrior's fur.

Swiftshadow purred. "I'll always need you. I promised I'd be just like you; I've not completed that promise yet."

Goldenflower rushed over and smothered her son's head with licks. "I'm so proud of you!"

Swiftshadow backed away with a mew of protest. "You're suffocating me!" He joked.

Brightpaw trotted over and pressed herself against her old denmate's side, purring. "Congratulations," she meowed softly.