Chapter 2

Tigerclaw stretched out his stiff muscles, his tail quivering with the effort. He had been crouched beside Bluestar's body all night and now that the sun had come up, he was thankful. He hadn't wanted to keep vigil, he had just done it so that the Clan still thought he was loyal.

The elders had begun to gather around Bluestar's body, and on Yellowfang's signal, they lifted her up and began carrying her out of camp. The warriors formed a line from the entrance to where Bluestar's body used to lay and bowed their heads as the elders hobbled past. Bluestar's tail dragged in the ground before it disappeared through the tunnel, never to be seen again.

Cats immediately broke up to do their warrior duties, and as Tigerclaw watched them, Yellowfang approached him from the side. 

"Are you ready to go?" She meowed, stopping at his side.

Tigerclaw faced her. "I was born ready." He meowed solemnly. 

The two cats padded out of the camp, and as Tigerclaw passed his Clan, he heard them meowing good luck to him. Tigerclaw turned to face them. They belonged to him now and he would make sure they knew that.

The sun was high in the sky as Tigerclaw and Yellowfang made their way onto the moors of WindClan. It was the main way to get to the Moonstone for him to get his nine lives.

Tigerclaw looked around the flat surface, seeing a patrol in the distance, but they didn't come over to confront them. As he continued looking around, he noticed Yellowfang gazing at him with dark amber eyes. 

He stopped. "What?" He meowed in a gruff voice. 

She stopped beside him. "I'm just wondering why the rogues attacked us in the first place."

"Rogues are cats made of crowfood who ignore the Warrior Code." Tigerclaw looked away, uncomfortable at her staring. "That's why."

"Sounds like a cat I know." She muttered.

Fur bristling, he swung around to face her. "Are you saying I ignore the Warrior Code?" He snarled, spit gathering on his lips.

Yellowfang's eyes widened in shock. "StarClan no! I was talking about Brokentail!"

Tigerclaw looked away, panicking. "Right.."

Yellowfang still looked thoughtful. "What will you do with him?"

Tigerclaw met the old she-cat's gaze. "I'll tell you what I'll do." He snarled. "That cat has caused so many battles that ThunderClan will die. It's either us who die, or Brokentail who dies."

"You can't kill him!"

"I'm doing it for the safety of the Clan," Tigerclaw lied. "If he lives, we don't."

"But-"

"Enough! This conversation is over!" He spat, continuing in the path of the moonstone. 

Tigerclaw heard Yellowfang hesitantly follow him and his tail twitched in satisfaction. She had to listen to him because he was the leader! It was great having so much power!

Soon enough, they arrived at the opening to the moonstone. They rested for a bit, considering it was only sunset, and then Yellowfang stood up and meowed, "It's time."

Tigerclaw eagerly pushed his way through the tunnel behind Yellowfang. Soon, that eagerness faded and was replaced by fear. The moonstone was ruled by StarClan warriors with greater power than him. He felt like an ant compared to his ancestors. 

Eventually, Yellowfang stopped, and he stopped beside her. They were stood in a small cavern with a hole in the top of it. They stood there for a few heartbeats until a shining light shone in the cavern, blinding Tigerclaw for a heartbeat. When he blinked open his eyes again, he saw the Moonstone shining brightly, turning Yellowfang's pelt white. StarClan was among them.