Chapter 5

It had been a few days since RiverClan had come to visit the camp. Tigerstar had ordered the Clan to be on high alert from then on. He made sure warriors were guarding the camp every night. He set extra patrols and he sent Yellowfang and Cinderpaw to collect herbs for the wounds that were to come. 

He was watching his two kits play with Stormkit and Featherkit now when Whitestorm slipped out of the nursery and padded up to him. 

"Brindleface thinks he two remaining kits are ready to begin their training," he told Tigerstar.

Tigerstar turned to face him. "That's good news," he meowed, "the more warriors we have when fighting, the better."

Whitestorm flicked his ear uncertainly. "Are you sure you're making the right choice about the war?" He meowed hesitantly.

Tigerstar felt rage burn up inside him. "Of course I am!" He hissed. "How dare you doubt me!"

Whitestorm lowered his head. "I'm sorry, I just-"

"You just want to disrespect me." He sneered. "Because of that, you are not allowed to eat tonight, give your share to the elders."

Whitestorm stared at him as though he was about to protest before dipping his head and padding away. 

Tigerstar nodded smugly before turning and squeezing into the nursery. 

Brindleface was laying on her side in a mossy nest while two pale grey kits clambered over her. She looked up at Tigerstar as he entered.

Tigerstar stopped. "Your kits will have their ceremony at sundown." He meowed, and he was about to turn to leave when Brindleface called him back. 

"What were you talking to Whitestorm about?" She meowed curiously. "You sounded fierce when talking to him."

Tigerstar blinked, thinking of an excuse. "I was just explaining a better training method for Brightpaw." He improvised.

"Okay.." Her green gaze was confused, but she didn't question him anymore as he walked out.

As Tigerstar left the nursery, he noticed Cinderpelt, recently named by Yellowfang, hobbling out to the fresh-kill pile. Fireheart noticed her and made his way over, but, to Tigerstar's pleasure, Cinderpelt completely ignored him. He could see the hurt in Fireheart's eyes from here. His leadership was going great.

The sun was setting below the forest as Tigerstar made his way out of his den.  News of the naming ceremony must have spread as most of the cats were already gathered in the clearing, waiting for it to begin. 

Tigerstar leaped up onto the Highrock and called the familar words to summon the Clan. They all came closer, and he noticed Brindleface leading her two kits out of the nursery and below the Highrock. They looked much smaller out here, as if they could barely be apprentices let alone warriors. 

Brindleface sat down with the kits on either side of her and the Clan quietened down and began looking at him expectantly. He began to talk.

"We are here today to give two Clan kits their apprentice names," He began formally, looking at the two kits. "Come forward," he commanded.

The two kits padded forward, leaving their mother behind with the crowd of cats. 

"Dustpelt," Tigerstar called, scanning the group of cats. "You will be mentor to Ashpaw."

Dustpelt, one of his closest allies, padded into the clearing, standing next to Ashpaw. 

"Dustpelt," he continued, flicking his tail, "this is your first apprentice. I hope you teach him the power and strength that you have."

Dustpelt's eyes gleamed with pride, and he leaned down to touch noses with Ashpaw. Ashpaw purred and followed him back to the group of cats.

"Darkstripe," Tigerstar called the name of his deputy loudly, as Ashpaw's sister blinked in awe at him. "You will be mentor to Fernpaw."

The grey-and-black tabby stalked closer to her and stood in front of his new apprentice.

"Darkstripe," he continued, "you are brave and powerful. Pass on what you know to this apprentice."

"Of course, Tigerstar," Darkstripe's eyes gleamed and he bent down to touch noses with Fernpaw.

The cats began cheering the apprentice's names and their eyes gleamed with pride. As Tigerstar watched the clearing below, he noticed Cloudpaw slip into camp. Fireheart went over to him and began lashing his tail. Cloudpaw stalked off and grabbed a mouse from the fresh-kill pile, but Whitestorm went over and he quickly dropped the mouse and slunk off to the apprentices' den. 

Tigerstar pricked his ears in interest. Fireheart couldn't even control the apprentice he had now. That would be a good weakness for when Tigerstar came up with his plan.