Chapter 14

Tigerstar shrieked in pain as sharp claws dug into into his thick fur. He reared up desperately as fangs sank into the back of his neck, trying to force the warrior off his back. Thinking fast, he whipped his head around and gripped a blue-grey leg, yanking it as hard as he could.

The RiverClan warrior let out a yowl of shock as he slid of the ThunderClan leader's back and thudded onto the floor. Tigerstar recognised the blue-grey pelt of Stonefur as he scrambled back to his paws.

As soon as Tigerstar regained his balance, Mistyfoot flew at him, snarling with hatred and caught him with a blow to the cheek. He spat at her, lashing out and tearing her ear, but Mistyfoot didn't even flinch.

Rearing up, she clawed at his face, her aim perfect each time as Tigerstar felt his cheek sting with each blow. He was forced onto all paws as he attempted to blink the blood trickling from his head out of his eyes.

Mistyfoot and Stonefur gave each other a glance which seemed so full of meaning, but he was too exhausted to care. Suddenly, the two blue-grey warriors split off and rammed into him from each side. Tigerstar felt the wind get knocked out of him as his legs buckled beneath him.

As soon as he hit the ground, the two warriors sprang as one. Mistyfoot clawed at his haunches while Stonefur battered his face, his eyes narrowed in anger. Panting for breath, Tigerstar fought vainly as he tried to get up, but Mistyfoot suddenly threw all of her weight onto his hind legs.

I can't move! Tigerstar began to panic as he spotted Stonefur stalking towards him, his claws glinting in the moonlight. He narrowed his eyes and raised his paw, prepearing to strike. Tigerstar closed his eyes, waiting for the death blow.

"Murderer!" A familiar shriek sounded from next to him.

Tigerstar opened his eyes to see a blur of grey leap at Stonefur's face. The warrior's eyes widened with horror as Ashpaw sunk his claws into the RiverClan cat's eyes. Crimson drops of blood splattered all over the floor as Stonefur leaped onto his hind legs, a blood-curdling screech escaping his jaws as he shook his head frantically to release the apprentice. Ashpaw held on, his icy blue eyes narrowed in fury as he sank his claws in deeper.

Feeling a new wave of strength surge through him, he flipped onto his back and flung his hind paws under Mistyfoot's chin, lashing out and throwing her to the other side of the clearing. Her blue eyes widened with shock as she thudded onto the floor, lying motionless for a heartbeat before staggering to her paws and leaping into the fray once more.

"I can't see!"

A wail interrupted the furious yowls and screeches and cats turned wide-eyed to see here it had come from.

Stonefur was writhing on the floor, blood leaking from two holes in his face. He let out wails of anguish while Ashpaw stood there watching, his paws covered in blood.

Tigerstar's stomach churned. Revenge for his mother had made the apprentice rip out Stonefur's eyes in the grief and rage he had felt in battle. Fernpaw crouched at the edge of the clearing, her green eyes wide with horror as she trembled beside Dustpelt. The brown tabby warrior bent down and gently murmured something in her ear.

"Stonefur!" A yowl distracted him and he turned to see Mistyfoot running towards her brother's broken body.

Tigerstar leaped forward, blocking her. "Stay back!" He spat. "That piece of crow-food deserves to die!"

"The cat who deserves to die is you!" Mistyfoot snarled. "Too many cats have died today!"

"Mistyfoot!" Leopardfur's sharp mew interrupted her. "Don't waste your time on this cat." She nodded to Stonefur whose breathing was slowing. "Go and see your brother."