Chapter 1

Tigerclaw swiped at the haunches of the final rogue cat as they were driven out of the camp. He watched as it caught eye contact with him. It nodded. A small nod, so the Clan wouldn't be able to see it. Tigerclaw nodded back, and the rogue turned and fled.

Tigerclaw turned to look at the Clan, his Clan, but the cats didn't know it yet. They all had multiple wounds, and looked so tired that they looked as though they'd hardly be able to take a step.

Yellowfang and Cinderpaw came out of the medicine den with herbs in their mouths and began to weave around the cats, checking their injuries to see which ones were the most serious.

Meanwhile, Tigerclaw turned to the RiverClan patrol that had shown up last minute and dipped his head towards them.

Leopardfur, the head of the patrol, gazed back at him, respect in her eyes.

"ThunderClan thanks RiverClan for your help." Tigerclaw meowed. "From the tiniest kit to the oldest elder. You have saved us in this battle today. Thank you."

Leopardfur dipped her head in return. "It was the least RiverClan could do after two of your warriors helped us." She stared behind him, and Tigerclaw turned to see Greystripe and Fireheart cleaning each other's wounds.

Fireheart met eyes with him and gave him a long stare. Tigerclaw narrowed his eyes in return. Now that he would be leader, Tigerclaw would have a lot more control over the kittypet.

Tigerclaw turned to face Leopardfur again. "Would you like to use some of our herbs for your injuries?" He meowed. Deep down, he didn't want to, but it was something Bluestar would do. And as far as everycat knew, Bluestar was alive and well.

Leopardfur shook her head. "No, thank you." She meowed politely. "But may I speak to Bluestar before we go back to our territory?"

Tigerclaw stiffened, before relaxing himself. "Of course." He let out a fake purr, and then turned to Fireheart. "Fireheart, can you get Bluestar?"

Fireheart looked up again, and then dipped his head. "Yes, Tigerclaw." He meowed, turning and trotting into her den.

Tigerclaw turned back and tried to stay calm. "May I ask why you need her?"

Leopardfur narrowed her eyes. "That's for Bluestar's ears only."

Tigerclaw lashed his tail frustrated. "What's so important that-"

A wail of grief broke out from Bluestar's den. Cats looked up from cleaning their wounds, their eyes as wide as the moon.

The lichen outside of the leader's den rustled and Fireheart backed out, dragging something with him. Tigerclaw watched as he dropped the limp body of Bluestar in the centre of the clearing.

Cats began to wail with terror and shock.

"Bluestar can't be dead!"

"I thought she had plenty of lives left!"

"Oh StarClan, what are we going to do?!"

Tigerclaw felt a prick of frustration when he watched his cats wailing with fear. Warriors shouldn't be scared! They're supposed to be strong!

He stood up and let out a loud, strong yowl.

Eventually, the clearing grew quiet, and all eyes rested on him.

Tigerclaw realised that he had to play along. He hunched his shoulders and tried to look like a grieving cat. "Cats of ThunderClan," he meowed loudly, forcing his voice to waver a bit, "Bluestar's death is one of the worst things that could happen to us. Especially with an attack like this. We did nothing to deserve this battle today, and now our beloved leader is dead..." He trailed off, as though he couldn't bear to say more.

Cats murmured in agreement and bowed their heads in respect for Bluestar.

Tigerclaw cleared his throat and spoke again. "There will be an extra star in Silverpelt tonight." His voice broke and he dipped his head. He flicked his tail to the RiverClan cats behind him. "You should go..." He meowed in a hoarse voice.

He didn't look up to watch them go, but he heard a padding of pawsteps and sleek fur drag against the gorse that surrounded the entrance.

"Tigerstar! Tigerstar!" Tigerclaw heard Darkstripe begin chanting, soon joined by Longtail and then the rest of the Clan cats.

Tigerclaw raised his tail for them to stop, even though he wanted them to keep going until the whole of the world knew. "Do not call me by that name yet," he mewed, trying to show respect. "We will keep vigil for Bluestar, and then tomorrow, Yellowfang and I will travel to the Moonstone so that I can become the official leader of ThunderClan!"

Most of the cats cheered apart from Fireheart, who was looking doubtful. Tigerclaw stared at him. Would Fireheart try and stop him from being a leader? If he would, he would instantly doubt it.

Cats bustled around him, preparing Bluestar for her vigil. Soon enough, cats were gathered around her in a circle, their heads bowed, while Yellowfang stood at the head of Bluestar's body.

The medicine cat began to speak. "Bluestar was the best leader a Clan could ever have," she meowed, grief in her voice. "When I was forced out of ShadowClan, she welcomed me here and let me play an important part of ThunderClan. She always made sure her Clan was safe and was merciful to other Clans."

Cats murmured in agreement as Yellowfang bowed her head, too emotional to say more.

Tigerclaw watched Whitestorm walk forward. "Bluestar was practically my mother," he meowed, grief in his yellow eyes. "When Snowfur died, Bluestar was there for me, and she helped me grow up into the warrior I am now."

Frostfur joined him. "She was the best mentor I could ever ask for," she meowed softly. "She taught me all I could know."

Fireheart stepped forward, his green eyes filled with grief. "Bluestar welcomed me into the Clan." He meowed loudly, staring at Silverpelt. "When she did that, she welcomed me into a new and better life. I will always be grateful to her for that."

Tigerclaw rolled his eyes, and then he realised that it was his turn to speak.

He stood up and slowly walked over to Bluestar's body. He couldn't help remembering seeing it all bloodied on the floor and with her blood splashed on his paws. He gazed up at the sky, trying to make himself look emotional.

"Bluestar was a good leader," he began. "I will never be as good a leader as her." No, I'll be better!

"You will lead us well Tigerclaw," meowed Goldenflower, his mate.

Tigerclaw bowed his head toward her. "Thank you. Now, let us grief for Bluestar."

Cats gathered around her body and began sharing tongues with her, gently soothing her bloody fur. Tigerclaw joined them and respectfully licked her shoulder, but inside he was burning with triumph.

Your reign is over, Bluestar! It's my turn!