Chapter Four

"Come on, daddy! Keep up!" the young black-haired girl exclaimed.

Her father panted heavily behind her, stopping his jog to rest his hands on his knees. "I'm gettin' too old for this."

The girl laughed. "Daddy, come on! Push yourself!" She grabbed her father by his bicep, pulling him with her so they could finish their lap around the trail.

He groaned, continuing on in a light jog as the girl jogged ahead of him. "I'm comin', Pumpkin. I'm comin'."

The two did this regularly when her father was home as part of her preparation and training. She had a goal to be just like her father when she grew up, and he was more than happy to teach her what he knew to help her achieve it. Though her mother wasn't too fond of the idea, as she found the training and career path to be more of a man's job, she did not stop them. She knew that her 13 year old daughter was passionate in the military life, so she was willing to be supportive.

They finished their jog shortly after. The two of them took a few minutes to catch their breath, then the father pulled out his whistle from his pocket. He called her to attention, as he always did. He gave her a series of workouts that were similar to the ones that he would give his men in his military camps. Though he was significantly softer on his daughter, he made sure that he pushed her just enough so that she would ultimately be as strong, fast, and healthy as possible when she came of age. He had no doubts that she would be extraordinary; she was his daughter, after all.

After an hour had passed, they made their way back towards town to finish their routine. They stopped for a treat for a job well done, and walked throughout the streets of DC. Many people stopped them along the way to thank the girl's father for his service in the Army, often dragging the conversation on to ask questions about his journey as a Colonel, and details about the war that had been going on overseas. It was no doubt that the world was seeing it's Second World War; it had everyone talking.

Though the girl was only 13, she felt that she was ready to be of service. The talk about the war was like a shot of adrenaline, and she wanted to dive into it head-first to help save the world.

"Do you really think the Germans will be stupid enough to bring the fight to us, Colonel?" one of the men said that approached her father.

The Colonel laughed. "Hell no. But Hitler might just be crazy enough."

"What about the other guy? What's his name, Johann Schmidt?" the man asked.

"Still chasing fairy tales." the Colonel replied, glancing down at his daughter. "I'm afraid that's all the time I have. I'd hate for my daughter to be late for her piano lessons."

The man directed his attention to the 13 year old girl that stood behind her father, bashfully. He had her black hair tied into low pigtails that fell over her shoulders in tight curls. She had on a white short sleeved shirt, paired with a black and white checkered skirt that fell just below her knees. Though she was young, it was clear that she shared her mother's beauty.

"She's a beaut." the man said, smiling at the girl.

The Colonel stepped between her and the man, narrowing his eyes at him. "And she's my daughter. Now excuse us."

He and the girl stepped past the man, not bothering to look back as they continued down the street. The girl turned her head to look back at the man, feeling herself blush at his compliment.

"Don't look back at him. Now you listen to me. If a man like that ever talks to you, I want you to give him a punch in the face. You deserve the best, and only the best. Understand?" he scolded, holding her hand tightly in his.