Chapter Twenty One

It had been a couple of weeks since the day I'd gone to Doctor Adams' house that he'd finally shown up to his office for a session. During that time, I'd learned what had happened to him that caused him to spiral in such a way. It taught me much about him, more than I'd ever known before.

He'd lost his only son in a car accident.

I never knew he had children, though it wasn't much of a surprise. It was apparent that he was at least divorced, since he lived alone. He never mentioned having a son before, so it wasn't something that I ever considered. After finding a picture of a younger man in his house that resembled him, it was easy to put the puzzle pieces together.

Seeing him so torn over the tragedy took its own toll on me, as well. It showed me what it looked like up close for a person to have someone that was close to them ripped away so suddenly. I felt for the older man, but I couldn't help but think of so many other people that I'd caused that much pain. What it looked and felt like for them to go through the same thing, caused by my blood-covered hands.

I wasn't the cause for Adams' son's death, but I still found myself feeling guilty.

And now, he had finally come to a session. He got a fresh haircut, combing it back like he always did. He shaved most of the facial hair that had gone untouched over the last few weeks, but kept a nicely trimmed goatee as a slight change in style. It suited him, I thought.

"Good morning, Kara." he greeted, sitting in his usual spot on the couch across from me with a few files in his hands.

I eyed the files, unsure of what kind of paperwork he would bring with him. "Morning."

"I know you don't really like to beat around the bush, so I'm just going to cut straight to the point." he started, folding his hands together as he looked me straight in the eyes. "I'm discharging you. You are no longer obligated to see me."

I stared at him in shock. That was the very last thing I was expecting him to say. He was seriously terminating me as a client?

He caught on to my confusion, and continued. "I've reflected on everything that's happened over the course of the last few weeks, and I believe that you are ready to face the world on your own. I've given you all of the tools you will need to move forward. Everything else is up to you."

I furrowed my brows, puzzled by his conclusion. "You think I'm well enough to keep going by myself?"

"No, not by yourself. You have Steve. You have the Avengers. I've done all that I can do to help you, professionally. It's time for you to lead your life in society." he stated, opening the file in his lap to take out the paperwork. "I've already done all the work to have you cleared. I've signed your release. It just needs your signature, and you're free to go."

I stared at him, not believing what was happening. He held out the paperwork to me, waiting expectantly for me to take it from him. I slowly reached for it, and skimmed through all of the paperwork. He wasn't kidding, he truly did jump through all of the necessary hoops to get me released. Even though my case wasn't in the sights of the US government, it was a big deal for the officials that were in charge of it to approve my release solely due to Adams' word and judgement.

I deeply furrowed my brows, and looked back up at him. "Doctor, I-"

"It's alright, Kara." he cut me off, his tone softer than I've ever heard it before as he held my gaze. "You're going to be okay. I believe in you."

I knit my brows slightly upwards at that, feeling those words affect me more than I was prepared for. I couldn't tell if he genuinely meant it, or if he was terminating me as a client due to a realization that he couldn't professionally handle me anymore. Either scenario was likely, and I wasn't sure which one upset me more.