Chapter Sixteen

"I know right!? God, I bet his arms are bigger than my head!" a young blonde girl exclaimed to her friends.

"I bet he's so tall, too!" a brunette replied, grinning widely as she bounced up and down with excitement.

"And those tights? Doesn't leave much to the imagination!" the blonde added, giggling with her friend. "He can be the Captain to my America."

The black-haired sixteen year old girl rolled her eyes at her two friends, though she couldn't help but smile. "Gosh, where did your innocence go, Angie?"

The blonde gave a sly smirk, raising her brows, expressively. "Nowhere."

The brunette laughed at her, nudging her arm. "I know where it went! Little Bobby from downtown took it from ya, didn't he?"

The black-haired girl's jaw dropped, and she stared at the two girls with wide, shocked eyes and a grin. "Oh my gosh, you're kidding."

The blonde, Angie, shook her head with a devilish smirk. The brunette and the black-haired girl exchanged a knowing, humorous look, but only for a moment when the show they had come to see began to start.

The curtains parted only a little down the middle as a bunch of girls dressed in short red, white, and blue dresses flooded the stage, looking as if they were wearing the American Flag. They had begun singing their song that most people knew by now, "Star Spangled Man With A Plan," and got into their formations. Then, out shot a tall, largely-built man dressed head to toe in a suit that clearly resembled the American flag, with a hood that covered his head with holes for his eyes, like a mask. Two little white wings resided on the sides of the hood, with a big white "A" on the center of his forehead. He looked exactly how he did in the many comic books, pamphlets, and trading cards that had come out to advertise and encourage enlisting in the war.

The man of course, was none other than Steven Rogers, now known as Captain America.

Not very long after the project, they had turned him into a showman, rather than a soldier. Touring on stage for active servicemen and the public, making films, posing for trading cards and pamphlets. It was all to keep America's patriotism in the face of the Second World War that was happening just overseas. It wasn't what the young girl was picturing for Rogers when she watched him receive the serum.

Though, she always appreciated a good show.

"Not all of us can storm a beach, or drive a tank. But there's still a way all of us can fight!" Rogers explained, holding a large shield in his hand that resembled the American flag with only three large white stars instead of fifty.

The girls that surrounded him in their formations continued their song, marching in place with large smiles. Rogers stepped forward, looking throughout the crowd as they watched with wide grins. Children were more than excited to see the Captain America from their comic books and trading cards, bouncing up and down as they pointed at him.

"Series-E defense bonds. Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guys gun!" He shouted, walking towards stage left to give the girls room for their dance as they sang the song.

The black-haired girl sighed as she watched, appreciating the show, but feeling disappointed for Rogers. She knew he wanted to be out overseas doing something meaningful in the war, not advertising sales for the war in a cheap outfit that many people were calling a joke. She could see it in his eyes from where she sat, that he was hating every second of it; but, despite that, the crowd cheered, loving the show. A favorite moment was when the girls were lined up, with a man dressed as Adolf Hitler stalking behind them to try to get to Rogers as he continued advertising the bonds to help pay for more ammunition for the soldiers. He turns to pretend to punch Hitler, appearing to knock him out. The crowd cheered loudly, clapping, shouting and whistling with wide smiles.