Chapter Fifteen

As much as I hated to admit it, I was beginning to actually not mind my therapy sessions with Dr. Adams. He had just barely begun to scratch the surface of getting me to open up a little more, revealing glimpses of my personality that I didn't even know still existed. Though despite that, he always managed to find another way to irritate me to no end.

"Come on. I know you remember it." he pushed, staring at me intently with his usual, serious expression.

I rolled my eyes, sighing as I stared up at the ceiling. "Of course I remember it, Adams, but I have no use for it. I'm not gonna do it."

"Oh, come on. I know it's a major step out of your comfort zone, and you're probably right in assuming that it may not always end well, but I still think you need to do it. If not for yourself, then for them." he shot back, phrasing his words carefully in a way he knew I couldn't argue with.

I shook my head, irritatedly at his persistence in trying to get me to do this. I'd already told him no countless times since the day he first proposed the idea, but he continued asking. Adding a few more ideas into it as an attempt to get me to agree with it. He even added rules.

"Just recite the rules back to me, so I know you remember them." he pushed further, setting his notebook down.

I sighed, keeping my gaze up at the ceiling with my head rested on the back cushion of the couch. "Rule Number One, don't do anything illegal."

He nodded in approval. "Very good. Rule Number Two?"

"Don't hurt anyone." I rasped, lowly. "Even if they deserve it."

He grinned, pleased with my responses. "And Rule Number Three?"

I sighed through my nose, slowly shifting my gaze back towards him with the slightest frown. "Tell them who I am and why I'm there."

"Mhm, and what is it that I told you to say?" he questioned further, locking his gaze on mine.

I was silent for a few moments, staring back at him, blankly. "My name is Kara Phillips. I am no longer the Tigris, and I am here to make amends for the wrongs I had committed to you as an assassin."

Dr. Adams grin widened when I finally recited the phrase, and he nodded in approval. "Very good. Wasn't so hard, now, was it?"

I scoffed, looking away as I shook my head. "It's never gonna work, Adams."

He chuckled, shaking his head back at me. "You don't know that for sure. At least give it a try. I've already had you write down a few names of the people who are still around, that you've wronged. All you have to do is find them, and make amends."

"Easier said than done, Adams." I rasped lowly, staring at my usual spot on the wall behind him.

He sighed, sitting back in his seat across from me. "I know. I never said it would be easy. But I know that once you do it, you're going to feel better."

"Or worse." I cut in, finally shifting my gaze back to him again in irritation.

He chuckled again, giving a slight shrug. "It's a fifty-fifty. If I were you carrying all of that blood and guilt. . . I'd take that chance. Because at least then, I'll be able to say that I tried."

I stared at him blankly as I stayed silent. I knew that he was right, that I couldn't just move around and continue carrying this forever while there was still a chance, even if it was a slight chance, to make things right. Eventually, I needed to at least try.

"Not right now, Doctor. I. . . I'm not ready for that." I finally replied, looking away again.

"You're never gonna be truly ready, Kara. But, I understand. Just make sure you don't wait too long." he said, his voice slightly softer now as he watched me, closely. "Or you'll never make it."