Chapter Ten

The day had come for Rogers' transformation.

The girl stayed close to her father as they entered the large experiment room. She eyed all of the different scientists and doctors in their white lab coats, watching them fiddle with all of the different technologies around the room that she didn't understand. She looked out the glass window down to the main part of the lab, seeing Rogers enter. The metal "bed" where Rogers would lay looked intimidating to her; it looked to be quite heavy machinery, and all of the wires connecting to multiple different other machines made her uneasy. It reminded her of a book she had read, called Frankenstein.

She saw the movie that had come out a little over ten years prior, and it didn't make her feel any better about it.

A young man approached her and her father. He had dark brown hair that was styled nicely, deep brown eyes, and a dark mustache above his upper lip. He was easily the most recognizable person in the room, despite the girl never meeting him, before.

"Mr. Stark, pleasure seeing you again." the Colonel greeted him, shaking his hand.

"Pleasure is all mine, Colonel." he replied with a polite, charming smile, then shifted his gaze down to the fifteen year old girl with a slightly wider smile. "This must be your daughter that I've heard so much about."

She nodded to him, shyly, with a small smile of her own as he reached to shake her hand as well. "Kara Phillips."

He grinned at her, looking her deep into her bright blue eyes with his charming smile. "Very nice to meet you, miss Phillips. I hope you're excited for what's to come."

She nodded eagerly, grinning wider with excitement. "Oh yes, quite excited. I certainly hope it all goes well."

The Colonel watched their exchange closely, eyeing the both of them with a knowing look. "I'm sure it'll go just fine." he looked out the glass window, seeing Rogers lying down in the machine with Erskine and Agent Carter standing by him. "They're ready for you, Stark."

Stark nodded to him, giving another wide, polite smile. "Of course."

He turned on his heel, giving the girl a discreet wink, and walked out the door to make his way down the stairs towards Erskine. The girl watched them from behind the glass, looking between Erskine who quietly spoke with Rogers, Agent Carter who stood nervously at the foot of the machine, and Stark who quickly approached them. She couldn't hear any of what they were saying, but she knew they were getting everything ready.

She could hear her father discussing with a few of the other men that occupied the room with us, all dressed in suits. She ignored them, less than interested in their conversation and more interested in everything that was happening downstairs. Rogers looked more than nervous and uncomfortable; understandably so. He was about to experience something that no one has ever experienced before. Anything could happen. It worried her greatly, probably more than most of the other people involved in the project.

Agent Carter eventually made her way up the stairs to join us, looking back at Rogers with an equally as worried expression on her face. It was clear that she had grown to care a lot about Rogers, which had surprised the girl, greatly; she didn't expect the toughest woman she ever met to have a soft spot for the smallest man in the army.

For that, she respected Agent Carter that much more.

Erskine grabbed a microphone, flicking it with his finger to make sure it worked. It made a loud ringing noise, pulling everyone from their conversations to pay attention. The girl gulped, feeling her heart pound, anxiously. She was terrified of what was about to happen, and unlike everyone else, wasn't afraid to show it.