Chapter 2: New Boss

Reela often heard Regan talk about Manatria and how naturally beautiful it is with the blend of civilization and the magic of nature. The forests of the island radiate with living energy, the magical tingle in the air like a rainless thunderstorm.

Then the city of Denkile stands as the current capital of Manatria until the rebuild of Mala'vin is complete. Some of the stone buildings towards the center of the city are towering pinnacles in contrast to the quaint streets lined with humble town homes – all with that rustic design token to all five of the minor continents surrounding what remains of Aramora.

All Reela really knows about Manatria is that this is the homeland of the four primary schools of magic. Dark Magic and Tus'Felnis magic excluded. There's also Mer Magic used by the mer folk of Conarita – and apparently mer people originated from the Maanitel Sea but after Mala'vin was destroyed, the waters turned too cold so they had to move northeast, to the upper Orinas Sea surrounding Conarita.

But Manatria contains some of the most powerful mages in the world. After all, this is where Sarabeth Blackwell was from. She was in Mala'vin when it was burned down by the Dev'al Ordon which led her to destroy Aramora.

Note to self: don't fuck with Manatria mages.

Cree led Reela and Jules through the city until reaching the forest outside the border, where they arrived at a relatively old house that's been restored. Three stories tall with pointed rooftops and large stained glass windows colored in light reds, and the highest window has a pattern of a rose.

Inside, the house is beautifully decorated with fur rugs, lush plants atop vintage end tables and shelves lined with books of all colors. The old brick fireplace sits cold surrounded by a large round couch with leather brown cushions, and hanging above in front of the second floor loft is a chandelier that gives the space a soft orange glow.

According to Cree, this is Regan's 'home away from home.' He'd always stay here whenever he'd visit Manatria, and a few times he brought Cree with him, so Cree luckily had the key to get in. They figure this is a safe enough place to stay until their business in Manatria is concluded. And that part is up to Jules.

Cree and Reela got settled in while Jules head out to start speaking with her contacts to try tracking down whoever put the bounty out for her. Which pretty much leaves the two of them with the rest of the day to do whatever they want.

Reela drops her things off in the smaller bedroom that she guesses was a guest room. She figured Cree would want to take the master bedroom, since he's slept there before. He's already been on-edge since being around Jules again, so she guesses it's best to let him have whatever wins he can get.

She makes her way down the second floor hallway and knocks on the door to the master bedroom, but it pushes in since it apparently wasn't fully closed. She peeks in to see Cree sitting on the edge of the large circular bed with red sheets and a matching canopy. He's holding an old fedora with a dark purple sash in his hands, staring down at it distantly.

Reela's eyes soften and she steps into the room, walking over to sit down at his side and lean her head on his shoulder. "...We'll find him, Dad. I promise," she says quietly and feels him tense before taking a deep breath. His breath was shaking, and she doesn't need to look at his face to tell he's on the verge of tears.

"...You don't have to promise me that, kid. I know we will. And when I do, I'm going to make whatever bastards took him from me fucking regret it," his voice breaks with his mournful spite underlying his tone. He takes another deep breath and forces himself to set the fedora down on the bed before he wraps his arm around her and loosely hugs her against his side. "I'm sorry I lost my temper earlier, after I read the letter."