Chapter 10: Unwanted Feelings

Warning: This chapter contains themes of sexual assault, PTSD, and abuse.

____________________________________________________

Avinalyn takes a steady deep breath, uncorking the bottle and tilting it to fill their glass with sangria. They set both the glass and the bottle down on the end table before they pause, stare at the fire, and sigh before lifting the bottle to their lips and drinking. The buzz helps to drown out the nagging thoughts that threaten to rob them of yet another good night's sleep.

A knock on the door makes them pause their drinking and glance back, their eyes narrow but their brow cocks curiously. They slowly set the sangria bottle down and straighten their posture, mentally preparing themself for whoever it could be at at their door at almost 11 o'clock at night. This would be early for Ven, if they believed she had any desire to see them after the events of Sunyu Foorst. They can't say they aren't enjoying her silent treatment. It's been a while since they last got a chance to breathe.

Avinalyn gathers their thoughts and walks over to open the door, the first thing they see on the other side is Reela standing in the hallway with dark circles under her eyes and her arms crossed and a look in her glazed eyes that says she probably has a headache.

"Reela?" they tilt their head.

Reela's voice is as flat and deadpan as her expression. "Is Nelaeryn here?"

Avinalyn's confusion only grows, but they slowly shake their head regardless. "No, not for at least the next few days... Why?" they ask, and Reela nods once without faltering the dreary look on her face as she starts walking forward into the room, making them step back to move out of her way.

"Cool. Mind if I crash here tonight?" Reela deadpans and plops herself on the floor in front of the fireplace with her legs crossed and her back slouched, her eyes close so she can try forcing herself to just listen to the calming sound of the fireplace and not lose her shit again. She's at the end of her rope with Jules and she doesn't even know what is going on with her dad and can't think of any solution to help him other than finding Regan, which if she could do that then they wouldn't be in this fucking situation to begin with.

Deep breath. She can't lose her grip on her emotions. Despite Avinalyn being who they are, Reela finds that this room and this fireplace makes her feel secure and relaxed, and the access to damn good booze doesn't hurt.

Avinalyn, still with their hand on the doorknob, shuts the door with their quizzical gaze still trained on Reela. "I don't... see the harm?" They lower their hand from the door and clear their throat as they start walking over, reclaiming their wine glass and standing behind their chair, leaning forward on the backrest.

"Am I right to assume your family isn't taking the news well?" they ask.

Reela snickers bitterly. She guesses that's one way to put it. "I didn't even get a chance to tell them the news..." she grumbles.

Their eyes soften with a slow nod and they take a sip from their glass. "I see..." Their head tilts again, this time towards her. "And what about you? How are you feeling with all of this?" they ask.

Don't answer honestly.

"I'm..." Reela pauses for another deep breath, "...fine." She blinks her eyes open to see her vision is blurred but she keeps staring at the fire. She blinks the tears away with a sigh. "Someone has to be..."

Some mix of sadness and anger floods her and she instantly loses the nonexistent grip she thought she had on her feelings but didn't. Avinalyn doesn't even say anything. With a weak, slightly manic chuckle, Reela stands up and immediately starts pacing and rambling in front of the fireplace.