We were both young when I first saw you

1.
Jamil had known of Kalim Al Asim as long as he could remember.He supposed it was only natural as his family had served the Asim's for centuries.But he had never met him.

Despite all the talk,they'd never encountered one another.Until now.The eve of Kalim's sixth birthday.They dressed Jamil all nice,his mother's hair ornaments decorating his sable locks.They had saved up for weeks to buy him the clothes he was wearing right now.Najma even called him pretty.Najma,the demon,of all people,so it had to be true.

Though,to be honest,he didn't really know why him being pretty mattered,but he was glad for it regardless.

So,here he was,holding his mother's hand as they followed another servant down the hall to Kalim's chambers.And then Jamil saw him.

Swaddled in clothes that were too big for him,short white hair messy despite the regal ringlet decorating it.Gorgeous,sparkly,red eyes looking up at his father,due to a conversation Jamil and his mother must've intruded on.

"Master Asim,Master Kalim."his mother said,unassuming,nearly a whisper

The head of the Asim family turned towards them,Kalim following suit almost immediately.

"Farah."the Asim patriarch spoke.

His mother bowed,hand now on Jamil's head,guiding him to do the same.

"I see you've brought your son along."
"As you've instructed,my liege."
"Jamil,was it?"

His mother cleared her throat.

"Yes,my lord."Jamil sputtered.
"Who is he,dad?"
"Jamil Viper.He'll be your bodyguard from now on."

Jamil's eyes widened at the words.Kalim's last bodyguard had died.According to servant gossip,quite violently so.His knees buckled beneath him,but his mother managed to catch him by the collar of his shirt before he could fall.

Kalim's brows furrowed.The boy was shaking,face hidden behind gorgeous,long dark brown hair.

There might've been some sort of conversation that transpired,but Kalim barely paid it any mind,too struck by the visual to hear much at all.

His father turned to him,hand now on Kalim's shoulder.

"You mind if I leave you two alone for a moment or two?I have to ask his mom a couple questions,ok?"

The heir nodded,his father and Jamil's mother leaving the room,the two boys now alone.The brunette was still bent down in a bow,his hands holding tight onto the fabric of his pants,as if for dear life.

"Hey..You ok?"

He looked up,staring straight at him,wide grey eyes strangely doe like.They weren't gray,the heir now realized,they were silver.Beautiful,shimmering and entrancing silver.

He paused for a minute,before the Viper looked back down.

"Yes,sire."
"..Are you just gonna stand like that or.."
"If that's your will,my lord."
"Well then..You can stand up."

The boy did so,obeying nearly as soon as the words left Kalim's mouth.

"By the way,you don't have to call me that."
"What?"
"My lord and all that."

It was the first time Kalim had seen a kid his age call him that.It was..Not disheartening per say as much as exhaustingly expected.Still,disappointing.

In fact,it was the first time he even met a child his age,outside of family of course.

Jamil blinked at him.

"What do I call you then?"
"Just my name will be fine."

Jamil smiled and Kalim was pretty sure his heart exploded.