three.

King Alfred

{Word Count: 995}

{Word Count: 995}

" you do not look Dane, lady." Uthred said as they ride to Aescengum. " or Saxon." The Irishman added looking over at her, with his flirtatious smirk. " I am neither." She replied feeling Skade's glare in the back of her head, Serene hated that she was afraid of the witch.

Uthred looked to her with raised eyebrows. " then what are you?" She looked to him, her faced stone. " I am Serene, Lord Uthred." She said stopping her horse so she fell beside Skade, who was glaring at her.

Something about these men gave her a confidence she hadn't experienced in years. The rest of the ride was silent except for Uthreds men talking of the two women, and of the curse Skade put on their Lord. When they arrived Uthred and Finan lead them to a cell, they left soon after leaving two women alone.

" you must use your beauty to our advantage, rene." The witch said with a smirk, playing with a rock on the ground. Serene flinched at the nickname Sigurd had called her that, she wondered if he was worried for her. Skade had most likely called her that on purpose to get into the dark haired woman's head.

" how?" Skade scoffed at her and stood, making her as well. " The Irishman seemed to be interested in your beauty." She said running her knuckle down Serene's face, stopping at her chin grabbing it harshly. " you will take him into your bed, and then he will surely love you."

Serene shook her head rapidly as the flashbacks began, the men beating her, forcing themselves on her and her mother. She had promised herself and to her mother that she would never do that willingly.

" you will." Skade said and looked at her with a smirk. " or your brother will pay the price."  She knew she couldn't let Sigurd be punished for something she did or did not do, she couldn't do that not again.

They heard the bars open once again, giving Serene no time to disagree. The two women depart and look at the dark entrance. A man walked forwards, a crown sat upon his head. Uthred followed after him with a torch. Serene gasped and walked towards him. " your not real."

The kings eyebrows rose as he inspected her, she looked familiar to him he just couldn't place it. A look of realization came across Uthreds face but he kept quiet seeing how the king was confused." and yet here I stand." He said with a cough, and held his stomach. The king then sent a nod to Uthred.

" Serene with me." He said and stuck out his hand, but her gaze was on Skade who was smirking at her. Knowing of her duties she grabbed his hand and he guided her out the cell. Even though it made her sick she allowed his hand to be lock hers, she hated men's touch. Except for Sigurd.

" Lord Uthred?" She said her voice barely over a whisper but she knew he heard since he turned his head towards her. Serene had never been one to talk much, not even to Sigurd.

" your Irishman." She paused, she hated that Skade was making her do this but most of all she hated herself for letting Skade control her. " d- does he have anyone?" Uthred sent her a knowing look and smiled.

" no lady he does not." She nodded. He let go of her hand making them stop, looking around to see if anyone's prying ear were listening.

" when we first met lady, I remembered you from where I did not know." He shook his head and looked at her with sympathy. " Alfred is your father is he not?" He asked, making Serene take a deep breath and her face turn sour.

" that is not your business to pry in, Lord Uthred." She snapped making him put his hands up in surrender. " I apologize lady, but I will keep your secret." She nodded in thanks and followed him as he began to walk again.

  They then approach his men who stood beside the fire, she made eye contact with Finan but she quickly looked away. Something about his gaze made her feel funny.

Finan noticed she was shivering and went to place his clock along her shoulders, but she flinched and moved away. The four men look at her in confusion and Finan keeps repeating apologies.

She shook her head and scolded herself before saying. " No you are fine, you just surprised me." She said looking down from all the eyes focused on herself. He nodded and handed her his cloak which she took with a smile.

" thank you." She whispered and placed in on her shoulders.

<•~•>

Serene stood with Skade upon the wall as she shouted for her lover and the dark haired girls brother. " Bloodhair! Come for me! Avenge me! Free me, I demand it! Bloodhair!" Serene leaned on the wall from boredom, sure she missed Sigurd but she knew it would do her no good to yell also.

" Desire me! Die for me!" Skade shouted desperately, she went on screaming for a few more minutes until she stopped and nudged Serene who was about asleep.

" He's here." Skade said with a smirk pointing to Sigurd who held hostages. Serene smiled at him which he returned but she was pulled away from the wall and out of his view.

The person who had ahold of her held her tight but it was still a comforting touch, she had not felt that in a while so she leaned into it with a sigh.

" I can not walk when you do that lady." The Irish accent made her snap out of her trance and stand up straight.

{Authors Note}

• I hope you enjoy and have a great day/night!!!! I hate to be that person but voting would help me out so if you do like it please vote, thank you!!!