four.

Sigurd

{Word Count: 1090}

{Word Count: 1090}

Finan smiled down at her as she blushed from embarrassment, she coughed nervously as Osferth opened the gates. Allowing Sigurd to enter her view once again, she smiled loving at her brother who she has missed so much. Uthred walks forward with Skade, as Finan and Serene follow behind him.

She tried to run to her brother but Finan tighten his grip on her waist, Serene was confused at the feeling his grip gave her. She looked up at him to see him already looking at her with his signature flirtatious smirk.

" Kill one more hostage and I will let every man here see their nakedness." Serene made eye contact with Sigurd and shook her head silently begging him not to allow that. Finan felt her begin to shake in his grip, his look then became one of concern. " and then I shall spill their guts."

" Do it lord I'll see you in the next life! Kill them all!." But Sigurd's eyes never left Serene's, causing Skade to scowl at her. Uthred then hits her in the stomach making her fall to the ground.

" Kill them all!!!" But Uthred plants a kick in her stomach, a groan escapes her lips. Serene had to hide her smirk by looking to the side, Finan lightly chuckles out of amusement at the dark haired girl.

But the sound of her brothers voice brought her back and she now looked straight at him. " you will not harm her again, nor my sister." Serene gave him a smile in thanks.

" the price has risen, you will not only spare the hostages you will free them all and sent them across to the borough." Uthred demanded

" release them." Sigurd demand also.

" you have until sunset to free the hostages. Or each man in this fortress will take their turn with them." Serene's breathing got quicker and she began to shake once again.

" Rene I won't let them touch you!" Bloodhair yells worried for his sister, she did not deserve to go through that a second time. He then added " you will not see Valhalla Uthred Ragnarson I swear it!"

The rest she did not witness her vision had went blurry and her ears did not seem to work as it had been pure quiet.

<•*•>

Someone lightly shook her, her eye flutter open to see Uthred's monk. " we are to leave lady." Serene looked around to see she was in a room instead of the cell, she nodded standing up. She quickly regretted that as a wave of dizziness washed over her.

" are you alright lady?" The monk asks softly and went to grab her arm but she moved away. " I'm alright." She said walking to the door and to her horse, Amira. She felt bad for treating the monk in such a way.

Everyone was already there but the Irishman, she had wondered where he was. She wasn't sure were they were going but she was to tired to care. Once she got on her horse, Uthred began to speak. " For the freedom of Wessex." The Saxons all shout happily then they all trotted out the gate and down the road.

They stop at a puddle making their wagon stuck and placing silver everywhere to make it look like they were actually stuck before continuing down the road.

They stop once again at the bottom of a hill, a huge one at that. " your man is here I know it." Skade said from beside Serene. Serene figured she had meant Finan cause who else would she mean the rest of his men are here.

A army then appear at the top, Uthred smiled at his men and raises his sword. " we have a army! Glory shall be ours!" He yells causing the men behind him to shout happily once again. She looked to Finan who copied his lords actions and had the widest smile on his face, she couldn't help but smile too.

They then come together and formed a shield wall, Skade and Serene stayed behind them with Osferth and Athelfled. Sigurd and his army then show up making Serene's heart pound she couldn't lose him, he is all she's had literally.

He then charges towards the saxons, and the whole battle Serene could not breath. She watched as they fought each other with no mercy. She did not want to believe in God but in that moment she prayed her heart out, she prayed for her brother, and she even prayed for Finan. She didn't know why she prayed for Finan but she did.

She could not tell who was where but her attention was brought away by the king and his army surrounding her brothers. But she smiled when he was able to get away, Skade mumbled something beside her but she didn't pay attention.

<•*•>

Serene rode along side Finan while he told her stories of his adventures as they rode to Winchester, she for once in a long time was truly happy. He made her truly happy, but she would never admit that. Every time she smiled at Finan she felt Skade smirk at her. Serene knew Skade thought she was doing this because of the demand she made but she wasn't Serene was doing this because she was truly happy and interested in him.

The sudden halt made Finan stop and look to Uthred he jumped of his horse and made his way to an abbess, Serene could tell by the look on her face it wasn't a good conversation.

" she's gone." Osferth whispered his voice shaky, Serene look to Skade confused but the smirk on her face told her she already knew. She looked to Finan for answers. " His wife." His tone was barely over a whisper. She frowned and looked to Osferth.

" I am sorry Osferth, you seemed close with her." Serene said grabbing his hand even though she really didn't want to. But comforting him was more important to her than herself in this moment.

The abbess pulled him into a hug but he stood still, she looked to them giving them the look that told them what Osferth had said was true. They began to fight over something and Serene felt her heart ache, though she didn't know Uthred that well she understood the loss he felt.

Death is terrible.

{Authors Note}

• I'm sorry if this timeline isn't right, I can't watch the show to make sure my memory is correct. But anyways I hope you enjoy and have a great day/night!!!