five.

The touch of death

{Word Count: 1190}

Serene stood beside Finan as they watch Uthred burn his wife's body, the heat of the fire warmed their faces. She clutched Finans bicep as tears formed in her eyes, his placed his hand on top of hers squeezing lightly. Finan pulls her along as he goes to comfort his friend. Serene was the first to speak. " I may have not known her, but Finan told me she had a kind soul."

The two men both sent her a sad smile before Finan spoke. " we've done a good thing here lord god knows it, the gods know it." Finan trying to conceal his emotions but failed.

They stood there in silence for a while until Uthred walked off with Hild leaving the two by themselves. Finan tried to take off after him but Serene told him Uthred probably wanted to be alone.

" why did you ask me to join?" Serene said suddenly as they made their way back to Uthreds house in Winchester, her hand still holding his bicep.

  Finan went to say something but stopped himself, before quickly said. " yer a sight for sore eyes sweetheart." He sent her a wink with his flirtatious smirk, he grabbed her hand helping her over a fallen tree before leaning down and kissing her hand all while keeping eye contact.

Her face flustered causing her to look away and him to laugh. The two finished their walk to Uthred's home in Winchester in silence. She made eye contact with Skade when she walked in, the smile on her face instantly dropped.

She hated the control the witch had over her, but their was nothing she could do Skade threatened to kill Sigurd.

  The next morning they were to set off to Coccham, Uthred held his daughter in his arms when Father Biocca shouted catching his attention. " you are needed at the palace, by the king." The priest spoke had an worried look upon his face as Finan looked between the two men nervously. Serene slightly flinched at the mention of her 'father', Osferth seemed to be the only one to notice seeing as he did the same.

" For what reason, I am to return to Coccham." Uthred made his way to the priest, Biocca looked at Uthred's men then back to the man himself. " it is better if you heard it from him yourself." Uthred nodded looking to Serene, who nodded at him and took little Stiorra. She smiled at the fact Uthred trusted her enough to leave his daughter with her.

Finan nudged her shoulder as she was looking for Stiorra and young Uthred, they were playing a hiding game. " Yer lookin in the wrong place." He whispered pointing at the little boots that stuck out from the cloth on the table.

" Yes, I am meaning too."

" Why?!"

" It is more fun for them Irishman." She said bumping his shoulder back and walking to the table quietly, she yank up the cloth making the children and herself scream in laughter. They ran out the door almost bumping into Osferth, Serene watched with a smile. Her gaze met Finan who was already looking at her also with a smile on his face, she sent him a wink before following after the children.

<•*•>

Serene stood between Sithric and Finan as the Irishman wouldn't let her any closer to the kings guards, as Steppa shouted for Uthred. " shhhh, I told ya big man he's restin." Serene tried to hide her laughter but failed miserably, the guards all sent her a glare but got two very intense ones back. It was scary how protective the two men became over her in just a short amount of time.

He threated to burn the house, but yet Uthred stayed inside. Finan insisted she stayed inside along with him and Osferth but she did not want to be around Skade any longer than needed.

" Steppa don't make me kill ya first, because that is what I will do." Serene couldn't help but think how attractive this man was, her cheek heat up making her look down.

" Uthred do not make me step on your Irishman, and his whore." Serene let out a gasp, but not at the name she had been called she gasped at the thought of being his. Of being Finan's. But Finan let out a growl, both men went to take a step forward but Serene place a hand on Finan's back and one on Sithric's shoulder causing them to stop in their tracks.

" oh for goodness sake, stop behaving like children." Hild walks up to Finan, she sent a apologetic smile and turned to the man. " You are goading him." Serene moved to the other side of Finan to get away from the looks the guards were giving her.

"Yes I was Hild, and enjoying it." He said before looking over her shoulder at Serene who played with her mother's ring. Hild squeezed Serene's arm before heading inside. "so the abbess may enter but I may not?"

" The abbess is scary." Serene said looking the man up and down. " You not so much." The guard scowled as Uthred's men all smirked at her, Finan reached behind him interlocking their hands absentmindedly.

<•*•>

Uthred had departed with the guards up to the palace to speak with the king. Sithric and Osferth ready the horses as Finan gathers the two women. They were making their way to the stables when Skade turn the comfortable silence into an awkward conversation.

" Serene when did you last lay with a man." She stilled, her body went numb and a chill ran down her spine. Ubba's men flashed in her mind but one look at the Irishman and they were gone. Finan acted as he wasn't listening but he was, he wanted to know, a lady as beautiful as Serene was bound to have a man.

" Or are you a virgin?" Serene's cheeks redden at the announcement as some of the villagers around turned.

Serene glanced at Finan who slightly smirked at the thought of her being a virgin, part of him was glad she'd never laid with a man. He wanted to be the first, but only if she did as well.

" I'm sure he wouldn't mind to change that." She said as if she read his mind, and she probably did. Finan choked out a cough as Serene muttered a quiet 'shut up' and walked ahead.

Sithric and Osferth raise their brows at the look on Serene's face, and the smirk on Skade's and the slightly wide eyes of Finan. No body had time to ask as Uthred fell from god knows where and onto a hay-bale.

Finan cracks a joke about how they let him go, while giving him his weapons. Serene noticed a cut on the lord and worriedly stepped forward.

" Uthred, you are wounded."

{Authors Note}
• I love all of their relationships so much (except Serene & Skade's of course), also I'm sorry this took so long I kinda lost motivation for this book but I hope you enjoy and have a great day or night!!!!

Dedicated to miyamead2