six.

Stay

{Word Count: 1196}

{Word Count: 1196}

They had been traveling for days it seemed but in all honesty it had only been a few hours. She had managed to avoid both Finan and Skade for the first couple hours but Finan rode up beside her. He had been riding by her in silence for a few moments 'sneaking' glances.

"It is not polite to stare Finan." Serene informed him from her horse next to his. Uthred chuckled from his spot beside him, so did Sithric and Osferth who were behind them with Skade.

" can't help it, yer beautiful." He said with a cheeky smile, his accent rough and thick. Serene shook her head with a laugh. She noticed she no longer hid her face when he complimented her, she believed she was becoming comfortable around him.

Around all of them actually, Sithric told her of his wife until Finan told him to shut up, Osferth - who she had just learnt was also Alfred's bastard- had told her of his mother and childhood. She was still trying to talk to Uthred but everytime she did, Skade's glare would burn into the back of her head.

Sithric rode up beside them, " Lord." Serene looked back at Skade who raised her brows as she looked between her and the Irishman with a smirk. The witch nodded causing Serene to sigh and look to Finan, she would not lie he was an attractive man but she was not ready for the kind of intimacy Skade was pushing her into.

" she wishes to speak to you." Uthred turned his horse around without a word leaving the three to share a look. Sithric and Finan began a conversation leaving Serene to her thoughts.

Being on a horse made her think of Sigurd, the long rides they would take of the mornings when they were younger - before they met Skade.

"Sig, no fair." Serene pouted as Sigurd's horse outran hers, she had gotten the head start but her horse got distracted by a bunch of grass. Both of their laughs echoed over the field they were currently riding in.

Sigurd slowly rode back to her as her horse continued to eat the grass below them, he could barely hold on he was laughing so much. Serene just crossed her arms and waited for his laughing fit to be over, when it was he looked at her with a smile.

At that time it had been a year since Sigurd had rescued her, and over that time they had grown as close as the trees that used to sit by her home.

" One day, Rene." He said leaning over placing a kiss upon her head, his face then grew a smirk. " I'll beat you back!" He said as his horse took off riding towards their camp, Serene let out a huff following after him.

As they rode off she couldn't help but thank the gods or god for having Sigurd save her.

<•*•>

They had stopped to make camp as the sun slowly sank. When night began to creep up, Finan had his feet propped up on rocks in front of the fire. He had given one of his cloaks to Serene, she had tried to give in back but he refused.

Serene leaned Finan's way and nodded her head towards Uthred who looked sickly. " Uthred looks awfully sick." She had saw the look before, she had helped her mother take care of her uncle once.

" He's alright, just tired." He whispered back looking down at her lips as he did, but Serene was paying no attention she looked at Uthred.

A dark pit in her stomach told her Skade had something to do with it, she look over at her before standing and walking to her ignoring Finan's calls.

" Why are you doing this?" She questioned looking over at Uthred again, who was talking to Finan. Skade did the same but her stare was less concerned, more intense.

" He has a choice to make."

" You've had your fun Skade, leave him alone." Serene begged but a sharp pain in her head made her groan and clutch it. The hurt in her head escalated from a dull throb to burning, glaring pain – faster than a lightning.

Skade turned her head to the side with a slight smirk, her intense glare was fire piercing Serene's skin. The next few minutes it only got worse, that was until Uthred stood taking the seer's attention. Serene clutched her head walking back over to the men while Skade was distracted.

" Are you alright?" Osferth asked gaining Finan's attention, he stood taking her head from her hands turning it side to side.

" Are you hurt?"

" No, I'm alright." She whispered as a slight ringing went off in her ears, she groaned out grabbing her ears. She fell to her knees before anyone could catch her, Serene looked over at Skade who nodded towards Finan's tent.

" You don't look fine." Sithric pointed out taking hold of her arm to help her up, she nodded in thanks. " I am just tired, I have not slept good." Which wasn't a lie, she hadn't slept good the night before.

"Alright." Finan said even though he could tell that was not the answer, he began to guide her but she stopped him. " Uhm, Can I stay with you." She watched as his eyes widened and Sithric and Osferth turned back towards the fire with smiles.

" It's just, I don't like being alone and especially with her." She whispered the last part as she pointed to Skade, he seemed to contemplate before nodding and taking her to his tent.

When they reached it, Finan looked at her with his signature cheeky smile. " ladies first."

She entered and began to suddenly freak out, the tent seemed to be closing in on her. Her breath began to quicken and she began to pick at her skin - at everyplace she felt Ubba's men's hands. She was reliving that nightmare, the memories were a crystal clear image in her brain.

" hey, you're alright." Finan said grabbing her shoulder shaking her lightly, but nothing happened. Her skin began to bleed where she was scratching, it burnt as she did so but she wanted their touch off of her.

Finan panicked as he watch the woman in front of him lose it, he couldn't stand it, it needed to stop. She began to shake as she whispered to herself.

" Rene?"

That name. She snapped out of it looking Finan in the eye, as she did her breathing went back to normal. " Finan?" He nodded placing his hands on each sided of her face, her body was still shaking as tears still fell down her face.

" You need to sleep." Finan said walking her over to the makeshift bed, helping her lay down. She clutched his arm as he began to walk away, she shook her head.

" Please stay."

[Authors Note]
• I feel so sorry for making her endure that and Finan to witness it.
• what do y'all think of Skade and Serene's little 'friendship'??? Leave you opinions, about anything I'd love to hear them...
• Anyways I hope you have a great day or night!!!