9-Truce

You had walked into the next night with that last bit playing in your head over and over again. You couldn't fathom how you'd brought yourself to say something like that to an animatronic. It was a joke....but still. It felt weird, but it was so funny. You thought of this as a cringe moment where you laughed at your own joke, replaying everyone's reaction to it in your head. According to you, as you took off, Withered Bonnie was just standing there. IN SHOCK. That was a hilarious image. Although you could be in for so much worse tonight just because of that joke, you walked through those creaky doors with a sense of confidence. You'd done it. You'd flabbergasted the grumpy animatronic.
The carnival theme never ceased to unnerve you. Maybe it really was a bad idea after all, telling your boss you'd like to keep the night shift job for as long as you'd like. There was at least one animatronic there that was pissed with you. But maybe that would change....nah!!
A chair flew out of one of the party rooms, tumbling down the hall.
Or maybe not.
There was a glitched scream of rage. You scrambled the opposite direction and his around the corner. Maybe you could find some other way into your office, without disturbing whatever what was going on over there. It was most likely old Bonnie, but you could never be too sure. If you remembered correctly from the cameras, there should be two air vents that led directly to your office. You tiptoed out of sight, in case old Bonnie decided to storm up the hallway, and turned into one of the party rooms.
Multiple party tables were set up perfectly to be put to use again the next day. There were bright ribbons strung to the chairs and balloons tied to small weights on the floor. Party hats of all patterns and colors were scattered up and down the party tables to be worn. You'd never worn a party hat at a party. You never had birthday parties, either...or ever been invited to one. By the time that had happened, it was considered immature by your peers to have one. It was...kinda stupid. But it was a social rule that you put in no effort to excepting.
To your luck, there was a ventilation shaft in the corner of the room. You maneuvered between the party tables and crouched down next to the shaft. Cool air slowly blew into your face. The shaft was dark....you bet you would barely be able to see where you were going. But you did know where you would end up. According to your internal map of the pizzeria, it wouldn't take long for you to crawl through to your office. You slapped yourself with an internal "suck it up" and slowly crawled into the vent on all fours.
Slowly, slowly, the shaft got darker. The light behind you began to fade. You were left shrouded in complete darkness...which was honestly starting to freak you out. But you couldn't get freaked out. Not now, when you were in the middle of this cramped space. This would be the most uncomfortable place to get stuck, especially since you knew no human would be able to get you out at this hour and the animatronics, according to your judgement, wouldn't be able to fit in the vents. You kept crawling, feeling your way on the metal and fearing the possibility of stumbling across a rat. Your eyes picked up a bit of light ahead, around a corner. Your heart jumped for joy. And then something blocked the light. Your first impression was that something in the office was placed in front of the vent. When you crawled a bit closer, you realized the "thing" was a pair of rabbit ears, and they looked like they were moving closer to you.
Wha--HOW--?!! THEY CAN FIT IN THE VENTS??!!!
Your mind and heart raced at the exact same rate as you scrambled to turn around. If Bonnie didn't know you were with him then, he certainly did now. Your hands and feet scraped at the sides of the vent to propel yourself forward. You panicked at every instance your hand would slip or you'd fall off your knees into your torso, helpless. The light at the end of the tunnel came closer. Closer. Closer......
THERE!!!
As you hauled your head out, it was as if you'd come out victorious at that very moment, but then you realized the chase wasn't over yet. You scrambled to draw out your torso, then your legs, then your feet--
SOMETHING WAS STOPPING YOUR FOOT.
You whirled around and inhaled, ready to scream your lungs out, but then you saw the metal hand grabbing you was baby blue. Not purple. Your vocal chords paused and coughed out the air.
"BONNIE!!" You scolded the rabbit. Half scolding, half out of fear. You didn't know if this behavior was a misunderstanding, or if the rabbit had a turnaround, and this was a genuine attack.
"Woah, woah, I'm so sorry!!" Bonnie said. You felt his grip loosen and didn't hesitate to stand up out of his reach. "Y/N! Y/N, wait! I'm sorry, I just wanted to talk to you."
"And you couldn't have said that earlier?!" You scolded him, for real this time.
"I really couldn't have. I assume you heard the older Bonnie earlier today, yes?" You nodded, keeping a skeptical eye on him. "He went into the office where I was hanging out and I didn't want him to take his anger out on me, so..I hid in the vents."
"Oh, ok. Still doesn't explain why you didn't tell me anything!"
"Bonnie would've heard me. Also, it'd be way worse if I mentioned you, cause the guy's got some strong opinions set on ya. I didn't want him to freak out on both of us, y'know?"
"That's....a good enough point. Sorry." You spat. Bonnie gave you the puppy eyes and a smile crept on your face. "What we're you doing snooping around my office, anyway?"
"Like it's your private property? Sorry, that was rude. No. I was just looking for you." The rabbit pulled himself completely out of the vent.
"Because...?"
"Nothing, I just..." Bonnie finally stood up and walked past you. He leaned on one of the tables. "I wanted to talk to you. We haven't talked in a while." The table creaked under his weight and Bonnie hurriedly took the weight off.
"Well, we're talking now, aren't we?"
"I guess so." Bonnie raised a humbled hand behind his head. "How have you been holding up? How's the love life~?" he held two wiggling fingers out to you almost bashfully, but in a way you couldn't pin it. His expression was almost flirtatious, but you knew his intent was more of a stereotypical "mean girl" than a flirty guy.
"How do you know those words in that particular order?" You scoffed, holding back a laugh.
"Oh, um." His demeanor fell apart. "I heard some people say it and I thought it was a friendly everyday thing to say? Isn't it?"
"I guess it is, just. Not for me." You chuckled. "But so far so good. I don't really pay attention to my 'love life', if you know what I mean."
"No. No, I don't."
"I don't care whether or not I have a partner. It would be nice, but I don't need that kind of relationship, y'know?" You stood up as well and sat on a table across from Bonnie.
"But you'd...you'd still like it?"
"I guess so." You smiled genuinely at Bonnie.
"What kind of, erm...boys? Do you like?" He tried his best to hide the stutter in his voice, but his voice box ultimately failed him.
"Did you just ask what my type is?"
A long moment of silence. "Is that what it means?"
"I like...soft guys. But they can also be goofy. And fun. The fine line between a rule follower and a rebel. I'm neither myself, so neutral is always good in my book." Bonnie was listening to you intently. "Well, um. I should probably head to my office." You stood up off the chair and began walking.
"Don't." Bonnie snapped. You turned around, and he paused. "I'll....I'll come with you," he sighed. "'Cause I don't hear Bonnie throwing his tantrum anymore."
"That's good to hear." You say. You both round the corner back to the main hallway. You noticed Bonnie slowly gravitating closer to you. Maybe he thought you wouldn't notice. He hoped not. Because when you looked up at him, he quickly sauntered away from you. "Don't worry, man, the personal bubble's feeling a bit flexible today." You bumped up against him as you walked, earning a meek smile back from him. You were met with that blasted fan at your desk not too long after. You plopped down in your chair, your knees meeting sweet relief, and you pulled the flashlight out from your desk. Bonnie leaned up next to the monitor.
"I'd love to stay and talk some more, but Freddy--Toy Freddy's..expecting me. Will you be okay for the next few hours?"
"Don't sweat your little tail off, Bon. I'll be alright!" He looked at you with a hesitant smile and walked back down the hallway with a small wave. You waved back and relaxed back in your chair as the rabbit disappeared.

SLAMM!!!
You perked up once again.
"Uggghhh, come on." You grumbled. Your knees creaked ever so slowly, painfully, to stand up from the chair. Some intrusive thoughts of Bonnie being slammed against the wall, causing the ruckus, ran in and out of your head. What if that sound was Old Bonnie slamming New Bonnie into the ground? What if Bonnie was laying on the ground at the moment, his left ear shattered off and one eye rolling lazily across the room? A tinge of motivation coursed into your aching knees and you sucked it up. You moved your stiff legs down the hallway, your flashlight shining a path for you. Slowly, you began to loosen up and broke into a jog when you heard another smash. But this time, you heard someone else. They were groaning as if they were in pain.
"BUT WHERE'S THE POINT IN THAT?!!"
Another crash, and another glitched scream. Like the one from when you first entered the building. This had to be old Bonnie. You rounded the corner and in the party room was, as expected, the old Freddy and Bonnie. Freddy was hunched over, with Bonnie standing over him aggressively. The rabbit looked like he'd easily tear Freddy apart in his rage, missing arm or not. It legitimately scared you. But then you remembered that this guy was all talk.
"She asked me. I don't want to hear your complaining. Get back to Parts and Services." Freddy growled.
"Or what?" Bonnie spat. "You can't just go around telling RANDOM HUMANS, FREDDY!! WE'LL BE DESTROYED!! WE WERE SCRAPPED ONCE, WAS THAT NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU??!!!" Bonnie's voice was severely glitched from his anger. You wanted to go back to when this guy was all talk. Your hand was trembling from this guy's demeanor alone. Your flashlight wobbled and slipped out of your sweaty hands.
Horror movie cliche.
It clattered against the ground and Bonnie swiveled towards you. You heart was pounding, you felt like you were going to throw up, and this guy looked like he'd eat you alive if he could. But you spoke up.
"What do you think you're doing?!" You shouted at Bonnie.
"It's none of your business, Y/N." The cranky grandpa vibe dripped down Freddy's voice box.
"Oh, yes it is," you and Bonnie spoke at the same time. You were unfazed, walking slowly towards Bonnie.
"You're pissed. We get it. Now get off his ass before--"
"BEFORE WHAT?!!" Bonnie lunged forward so he was inches from your face. The red hues of his eyes pierced into yours. You didn't dare step back. "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO?! PLAY HERO?!!"
"You're scared."
Bonnie froze.
"You're afraid that you don't, and won't matter to anyone. Freddy was brave enough to tell me your guys' secrets. You don't get to act like a parent and scold him for telling me when I'm the one who asked. People hurt you and the soul inside you. You don't trust me, that's fine. But deliberately going out of your way to torment me, even when I'm already terrified of you, communicates something. So tell me, rabbit. What are you so afraid of?" Your voice came down to a hushed tone as you leaned even closer into the rabbits lack of a face.
The red glowed even brighter than before, making your eyes well up. You stood your ground, no matter how much you wanted to scream, yell, run.
"I'm going to help you guys," Bonnie's left ear perked up. "I'm going to stay. I'm going to help set those souls free. I'm going to uncover why the hell this place keeps closing down and I will, because I have you guys and no other detective ever did." You placed a finger against Bonnie's chest. "That means we come to a truce. Not even a truce, this was a one sided thing. I never wanted to hurt you. Heck, how could I? I'm just a security guard. But you felt inclined to do your own thing." Bonnie got even more angry.
"You're not my...therapist, psychiatrist, whatever. You don't know what's going on in my head, so stop speaking for me."
"UUGGGGHHHH, that was THE. CRINGE-EDGIEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD.
Dude. It's a simple trade." Your finger shifted so you could lean against Bonnie's chest with your palm. "I help you guys get some more love and maybe once you're free of the spirits, you guys can see kids again without raising concerns. And YOU." You yanked Bonnie down to your height by his bow tie. "WILL STOP. BOTHERING ME. CAPICHE?!"
He was silent. Bonnie was silent the entire time, but the static and buzzing of his gears was completely silent now. He kept the exact angry face he'd had plastered on his face since you started talking back to him. His eyes were flaring, they were so bright. Your eyes were relieved when Bonnie finally stood up, and you were even more so when he walked away.
You realized Foxy was in the corner listening to all of this. And Freddy was right next to him.
Both had their jaws dropped in your direction.
You tipped your nonexistent hat to them and walked back to your office, your face steaming hot red with embarrassment....and pride. Bonnie stood in the other room with an equally steaming face, confused by what could be causing it.