4

JISOO

I am called Jisoo.

I have no parents.

Thirty years ago, my master picked me up from the lakeside.

Swaddled in cloth, I carried just a few zhu coins with me, and a wooden plate with the character 'Kim'.

Because he picked me up by the water, master named me with a character from 'that person whom I think of, is on the water somewhere'.

My master's surname was Yang.

Revered by dragons and tigers, he was the Medicine King of Edelweiss valley.

For my sake, master brought an old nanny into the valley to take care of me.

I grew up in the valley.

Master had never married.

Although he and I are a teacher and disciple, we were like a father and daughter.

The valley is secluded from the world.

Small black flowers bloomed all over the valley.

Master said that this is the Edelweiss flower, the symbol of our valley.

It is a poisonous herb, but it could save lives.

To use it as toxin or medicine, to harm or to save, it is all within the whims of a medical practitioner.

Blades and axes are merciless.

It is a life-taking weapon in the hands of soldiers, but in the hands of a medical practitioner, it could also save lives.

At that time, I did not understand that principle.

I have been surrounded with medicinal herbs since I was little.

I could already recognize a hundred herbs when I was four, and I understood medicinal properties by the time that I was six.

The valley was quiet and beautiful.

Master and I were the only ones living in the valley ever since I could remember.

Of course, outsiders would occasionally enter the valley.

All of these people would have the same special trait: they were nearing the end of their lives.

Severely injured, fatally ill, or poisoned.

Slowly, I learned about the status of the valley from those outsiders.

This place was also known as the Palace of Hell.

Once they have entered the valley, master would be the King of Hell.

He would decide the life or death of those visitors.

At that moment, I was so proud.

As I looked at these patients' servile manner before my master, I experienced the delight of being a medical practitioner for the first time.

So it was this interesting to hold the authority over life and death in one's hand...

I also knew that I was master's only direct disciple.

There were many medical practitioners who had gathered in the clinic outside of the valley as they wanted to become master's students.

However, their perspectives and principles on medical theory were already set, hence they could only become outside disciples.

Master would occasionally leave the valley to teach them.

Those outside disciples would look at the people who came to seek treatment first.