14

The art of medicine was deep and expansive. It was not a skill that can be learned overnight.

When Jennie went to discuss with Lisa, Lisa was very hesitant on the idea.

She could not bear parting with Chiquita, but she had to admit that Jennie was right.

She would not be able to protect Chiquita for a lifetime.

If Chiquita was adept in medical theory, it would at least ensure her some security in living at the palaces.

And so, Chiquita stepped on the path of medical study at Edelweiss valley when she was eight years old.

She studied there for ten years.

There, she met the three year old Ahyeon who was adopted by Irene, completing a fated meeting of drifting duckweed on water. 

As a Princess, it was the first time that Chiquita took care of a small child.

She had to give her baths, change her diapers, and teach her how to use chopsticks.

She was unwilling at first, but it slowly became a habit.

In the end, she was filled with anticipation to witness Ahyeon's growth bit by bit.

Chiquita was extremely talented on the path of medicine.

She had even surpassed Jisoo's level back in the day.

Even if she had gotten into medical theory at a much later age than Jisoo, in less than three years, Chiquita could already reach Jisoo's level when she was eight years old.

The famous doctors outside the valley sighed at their own abilities.

Even Irene had to smile bitterly in envy of Chiquita's heaven gifted talent.

From then on, Irene handed Ahyeon to Chiquita's care.

She believed that Chiquita would be an even more impressive master than her.

When Ahyeon tried to provide acupuncture for the first time, the twelve year old Chiquita was already well accomplished in healing.

She willingly became Ahyeon's needle mannequin.

In the end, she was poked until half of her body lost feeling for three days.

Ahyeon cried like a mess at Chiquita's bedside.

Even Irene reproached her: “Chiquita, you indulge Ahyeon too much.”

Chiquita simply smiled.

Once Irene left, Chiquita patted Ahyeon's head gently with her movable hand, then she comforted her softly: “Be good, don’t cry.”

Chiquita did not know that this scene was deeply branded into the bottom of Ahyeon's heart for this life and this world.

When the eighteen year old Chiquita answered her summons to return to the palace, at thirteen years of age, Ahyeon, who had never left the valley before, carried her medical case, stole her mother Irene's travel expenses, and sneaked out of the valley too.

***

‘The Kingdom’s Yearly Record’

It had been Recorded that Chiquita, who was sealed as a Princess on the Second Year of Jonathan's reign, left the capital to study.

She returned in the ten years later.

In the same year, the King granted her a marriage to Harry, the son of the Hastings General, George Basset.