Chapter 1

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness wanted to know many things.

She wanted to know why everyone opened and closed their mouths, letting words that sounded like music flow out of their mouths.

It was strange.

Brightness tried to do that almost every day, opening and closing her mouth, trying to make the sound float out of her own mouth. Not a single sound ever erupted from her mouth. Visioner always looked at her strangely. 

Sometimes the air around her vibrated, letting out startled squeaks as something interrupted it. And violent, jerking waves of red flowed out of Brightness's father sometimes, and it often came with a neon flash as his claws left the same red color on her scales. 

It was strange, and sometimes it tickled, though more forcefully.

There wasn't really a word to describe it. 

It was...as if the tickles dug into her skin, squeezing down like centipede pincers. Stars flew up, and Brightness had always been entranced by the sparks. 

Until one day, she knew the word for it.

 Pain.

It came in a flash.

One moment, Destroyer was spitting forceful, anger-filled words at Visioner, who trembled and radiated with white fear. The next moment, he was...paining her? No. Hurting her. His claws drawing brutal red streaks on her scales, and the red color oozed out of her scales like a slow-moving river. 

It hurt. She'd opened her mouth instinctively, but no words flew out. 

She could only see the pain.

And the next second, she was crumpling to the ground, radiating with orange and green and white. 

After a moment, everything had went dark. 

And then she woke up on a bed of leaves, a blue dragon peering down at her.