Chapter 18

BRIGHTNESS

The memory in Tsunami's office was constantly marching through Brightness's head.

Visioner won't need to answer her questions, and I won't have to deal with the consequences, She'd thought. We've experienced enough pain. It's enough without more stress from her useless, annoying questions.

Brightness had picked up a stick when no one had been looking, clenching it tightly in her talons. Her palms had felt sticky with sweat, and she'd closed her eyes.

Enchant this stick to become a dagger. 

And her second spell. I enchant this dagger to stab Tsunami in the neck.

The dagger had flicked out of her claws as soon as the words had left her mouth. And Tsunami had slumped to the ground, clutching her bleeding neck. 

And now she was in the healing center, heavily injured and unconscious. 

Serves her right, Brightness thought. She slashed an angry stroke of furious red she felt onto her blank canvas. She made sure to add splatters of black, eating up parts of bright yellow happiness. She shouldn't ask about our personal business. 

I wish the dagger had killed her. Then everything would be so much easier.

But it hadn't killed the SeaWing, and she'd return to torturing Brightness and Visioner with hundreds of questions again. Tamarin was calmly painting a sky-blue background, and she paused to stare blindly at Brightness.

"You're angry." It was more like a statement, not a question. Brightness didn't answer with their special code of flicks and brushes. She stabbed her dark blue-stained paintbrush at the canvas, accidentally poking a hole in the painting.

"Can you pass me a can of white paint?" Tamarin asked. Brightness placed a paint can in her talons, but when Tamarin opened it, the NightWing realized that it held black. She quickly replaced it with white, and Tamarin smiled. Brightness's hard feelings melted for a moment, and she entwined her tail with her blind companion's. 

She didn't notice a certain SeaWing princess glaring in their direction, a soft growl rumbling in her throat.